TORONTO, March 8, 2015 /CNW/ - As the thermometer rises from the deep freeze to near spring-like temperatures this week in many areas of Ontario and Quebec, Economical Insurance advises homeowners to take precautions to ensure their basements and garages don't become flooded from the melting snow and ice.
Here are a few simple things homeowners can do to protect their property from water damage this weekend:
- Remove snow that has accumulated from around basement windows and door openings, including the garage
- Clear walkways and driveways of snow and ice as much as possible
- Be sure that any exterior drains on your property have clear access for snow melt runoff
- Clear the area where downspouts discharge so water can run off properly
- Ensure sump pumps are in working order and monitor them regularly
- Be a good neighbour and clear street drains near your property so snow melt has a place to run off without being redirected towards homes.
About Economical Insurance
Founded in 1871, Economical Insurance is one of Canada's leading property and casualty insurers, with $2.0 billion in annual premium volume and $5.2 billion in assets as at December 31, 2014. Based in Waterloo, this Canadian-owned and operated group services the insurance needs of more than one million customers across the country. In 2010, Economical announced its decision to become the first federally-regulated mutual property and casualty insurance company to pursue demutualization. Economical Insurance conducts business under the following brands: Economical Insurance, Economical, Western General, Economical Select, Perth Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, Federation Insurance and Economical Financial.
SOURCE Economical Insurance
For further information: Doug Maybee, Economical Insurance, (T) 519.570.8249, (C) 519.404.0989