HALIFAX, March 24, 2015 /CNW/ - With above-zero temperatures in the forecast for much of the Maritimes in the coming days, the snow and ice that have wreaked havoc this winter will begin to quickly melt. Economical Insurance advises homeowners to take precautions to ensure their basements and garages don't become flooded from the melting snow and ice.
If you suspect your property has been damaged, contact your broker right away. Provide as much detail as you can, including photos of the damage.
Here are a few simple things homeowners can do to protect their property from water damage as the snow and ice melt:
- If excessive snow on the roof poses a risk to the home, considering getting professional assistance to have it removed safely
- Clear the area where downspouts discharge and create a path for water to flow away from your home
- Remove snow that has accumulated from around basement windows and door openings, including the garage
- Clear walkways and driveways of snow and ice to prevent slips and falls
- Ensure sump pumps are in working order and monitor them regularly
- Ensure your furnace and hot water heater vents on the side of your home are unobstructed
- Be sure that any exterior drains on your property have clear access for snow melt runoff
- If you feel your basement is vulnerable to water damage, consider elevating electronics and valuables off the floor
- Be a good neighbour and clear street drains near your property so snow melt has a place to run off without being redirected towards homes.
About Economical Insurance
Founded in 1871, Economical Insurance is one of Canada's leading property and casualty insurers, with $2.0 billion in annual premium volume and $5.2 billion in assets as at December 31, 2014. Based in Waterloo, this Canadian-owned and operated group services the insurance needs of more than one million customers across the country. In 2010, Economical announced its decision to become the first federally-regulated mutual property and casualty insurance company to pursue demutualization. Economical Insurance conducts business under the following brands: Economical Insurance, Economical, Western General, Economical Select, Perth Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, Federation Insurance and Economical Financial.
SOURCE Economical Insurance
For further information: Doug Maybee, Economical Insurance, (T) 519.570.8249, (C) 519.404.0989