-- Increased temperatures and strong sunlight spell disaster for unprotected paintwork
-- Autoglym shares its top tips for car care during the summer period
LETCHWORTH GARDEN CITY, England, Aug. 3, 2012 /CNW/-- As temperatures heat up, and though the snow and salt may be gone, Autoglym warns motorists across Canada about the need to shield their cars from the extreme conditions we might see over the summer months. Extensive studies from Britain's leading car care firm, Autoglym, reveal that a combination of the sun's UV light and extended periods of intense heat can cause serious damage to vehicle paintwork and trim.
Prolonged direct exposure to the sun's UV rays can cause the chemical structure of a car's surface paint layer to break down, which causes the paint to fade and lose its gloss. Furthermore, high temperatures can cause contaminants such as bird droppings, insect residue and tree sap to bake onto body panels causing serious damage to unprotected paintwork. Tires, plastics and rubber seals are also vulnerable, as direct sunlight speeds up deterioration if they are left exposed to the elements.
"Investigations conducted by our lab technicians show that severe long-term consequences can result from not properly caring for your car through the summer months, from dulled paintwork to discoloured plastics and rotted rubber," said Paul Caller, Autoglym CEO. "By thoroughly protecting the bodywork, plastics and rubber, they can withstand even the most extreme conditions the Canadian weather can deliver."
Autoglym's top five tips for summer car care:
1. Wash your vehicle thoroughly using a pH-neutral bodywork shampoo ensuring the car stays out of direct sunlight to avoid suds drying onto the paintwork. Autoglym's Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner contains special ingredients which perform the dual roles of cleaning the vehicle and forming a glossy water-repellent barrier to preserve the shine for longer.
- Note that many household detergents commonly used by motorists may have a detrimental effect when used on cars, removing polish from paintwork and leaving the surface unprotected.
2. After thoroughly washing, apply a high-quality polish or wax to nourish paintwork and provide a protective barrier against the sun's harmful UV rays. Autoglym's Super Resin Polish gently removes traffic film while imparting polymers that harden and bond to protect paintwork. To provide the ultimate protective barrier against the elements, follow with an application of Autoglym High Definition Wax.
3. Condition and protect plastic bumpers, fenders, mud flaps, wheel arch trims, door handles, vinyl roofs and rubber seals with a dedicated plastic, rubber and vinyl treatment. Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber Care is a versatile purpose-developed formulation that forms a tough but flexible anti-static barrier against moisture, dust, oxidation, staining and fading.
4. Remove bird droppings from bodywork as soon as possible with a gentle moist wipe – being certain to rehydrate baked-on spots before wiping. Bird droppings can dull paintwork within just 30 minutes and can leave permanent blemishes within a day or two. Autoglym's Bird Dropping Wipes – each pack containing individually sealed sachets – are impregnated with all the necessary ingredients to soften and remove even the most stubborn deposits in a convenient and easy-to-use wipe. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after safely disposing of the wipe, as bird droppings can harbor unpleasant diseases.
5. Clean your alloy wheels using a non-acidic wheel cleaner to safely dissolve baked-on brake dust. Use Autoglym's Custom Wheel Cleaner, which is safe to use on all types of alloy, anodised and special wheel finishes. Then liberally spray a specially formulated tire protectant such as Autoglym's Instant Tyre Dressing onto wet or dry tire walls to give a new-look sheen and to protect the rubber from deterioration.
All of Autoglym's retail products are subject to a rigorous temperature-testing regime, taking into consideration the many varying climates in markets such as Canada before they hit the shelves. These tests include trials in the freezing conditions in Iceland and in the sizzling heat of the Australian desert.
Autoglym products are available exclusively at Canadian Tire stores across Canada. For information about which Autoglym products would be best for their individual car needs, motorists should talk to Canadian Tire's auto department sales team.
Autoglym in Canada
Autoglym has a bold ambition in Canada: to be the number one choice for discerning Canadian motorists within the next five years.
Autoglym launched an initial range into Canada in 2009. The successful introduction and the strong rate of sales growth achieved over the brand's first two years in this market has led to Autoglym making significant further strategic investments in Canada this year. In 2012, the product range will more than double, and the brand will have an on-shelf presence in Canadian Tire stores across the country.
Autoglym has an exceptional international reputation built on over forty years of dedicated, cutting edge research and development. Produced at its headquarters in Letchworth Garden City, England, the UK's leading car care brand sells its range of retail and trade product lines in over 45 markets worldwide. The company prides itself on the quality of its products and its British heritage. Autoglym's portfolio of products is synonymous with quality, ease-of-use, innovation and value for money.
For further information:
For more information, comment, high resolution photography or product-test samples, contact PFPR Communications - Yvonne Malmgren, +1-586-232-4112, +1-586-453-2912, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Mike Stainton, +44 (0) 1622 776 687, +44 (0) 7739 891 040, email@example.com, or Jessica Culp, +1-416-480-8231, +1-647-618-8231, Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org