FERGUS, ON, May 1, 2017 /CNW/ - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Groves Memorial Community Hospital (GMCH) have announced that EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare is the preferred proponent to design, build and finance the new hospital development project in Centre Wellington, Ont.
IO and GMCH selected EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare after extensive evaluations following a fair, open and transparent request for proposals (RFP) process that began in June 2016. Three teams—GMCH Partnership, EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare and PCL Constructors Canada—submitted bids. The EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare team includes:
- Developer: EllisDon Capital Inc.
- Architect: Tillman Ruth Robinson
- Engineering Teams: The Mitchell Partnership; WalterFedy Partnership; Hastings and Aziz
- Construction: EllisDon Design Build Inc.
- Financial advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
IO and GMCH will now work to finalize contract details with EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare. The project is expected to reach financial close in mid-2017, which will mean that relevant contracts have been signed, the contract and local share amounts can be announced and a financing rate has been set.
The new hospital will be built in Aboyne, Ont., between Elora and Fergus, and replace the existing GMCH in Fergus. Expected to be completed in late 2019, the new GMCH project will include:
- a replacement hospital built on a greenfield site, with more space for emergency, ambulatory, diagnostic and inpatient services to accommodate a growing community
- 37 of the 45 beds will be in private single patient rooms with a dedicated washroom and shower and large windows
- the remaining eight beds will be in two-bed rooms each with a private washroom
- all inpatient rooms will have views of the surrounding rural landscape, including the Grand River and extensive trail network
- modernized infection control measures, including additional isolation facilities, to enhance the hospital's ability to respond to a pandemic or disease outbreak
- an onsite helipad to allow for faster access to patient transfers by air ambulance
- large windowed areas that allow natural light to penetrate deep into the building and ultimately connect the interior with the outside
- Simplified wayfinding, making it easy for visitors and patients to navigate to their desired destinations. Hospital services that are used most frequently by outpatients are positioned closest to the main entrance to ensure easy access.
IO and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working with GMCH to build the new hospital, which will remain publicly owned, controlled and accountable.
- This project is being delivered using IO's Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way to finance and procure large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- 106 AFP projects have been brought to market as of December 31, 2016, with an approximate total capital value of $45.83 billion.
- 37 health care projects have been completed using the AFP model as of December 31, 2016.
- IO's 2016 Track Record Report showed that 96 per cent of projects have been completed on budget.
- Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, visit Ontario.ca/BuildON.
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
"The people of Centre Wellington will soon have the modern rural hospital they deserve. The new Groves Memorial Community Hospital will ensure that the people in this growing community will have access to high-quality healthcare close to home for generations to come."
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure
"We are committed to meeting the healthcare needs of people across the province while creating jobs and building up the economy. This state-of-the-art hospital will increase access to care and improve health care outcomes for people in the region."
Howard Dobson, Board Chair, Groves Memorial Community Hospital
"This is a significant and exciting step forward in our New Groves Hospital Planning. We remain on track with our scheduled timeline and are excited to prepare for ground breaking that is only a few months away. "
Gord Feniak, Building Committee Chair, New Groves Hospital
"We were fortunate to have three high quality bids to review and choose from. Thank you to all of the proponents for their submissions. We are also grateful to the Groves Hospital staff, physicians and volunteers who were involved in this thoughtful, detailed and lengthy review process. With their hard work we feel confident in the choice of proponent to build the new Groves Hospital."
Ehren Cory, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario
"This milestone marks the beginning of what we expect to be a great partnership. We look forward to working with EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare to reach a final contract and begin construction on this project later this year."
Groves Memorial Community Hospital
YouTube – Infrastructure Ontario
Disponible en français
SOURCE Infrastructure Ontario
For further information: Media contacts: Cary Mignault, Infrastructure Ontario, 416-325-2888; Alison Armstrong, Groves Memorial Community Hospital, 226-820-1798