CALGARY, Nov. 12, 2012 /CNW/ - Petrowest Corporation (TSX: PRW) announced today its consolidated financial results for the three and nine month periods ended September 30, 2012.
Rick Quigley, Chief Executive Officer, stated that, "the activity levels the Company experienced in the first six months of 2012 have continued into the third quarter. I am very pleased that we are announcing record third quarter results with not only revenue increases over the strong 2011 third quarter, but also an exceptionally strong EBITDA margin. Both the Civil and Construction divisions posted very strong margins. In addition, the Civil division remained at or near capacity for the quarter which is a continuation of the activity levels in this division." Mr. Quigley further stated, "I am optimistic about the ongoing activity levels in the areas where we have a strong presence."
In the three months ended September 30, 2012, the Company:
- Achieved record third quarter comprehensive income before tax of $6.7 million and revenue of $59.9 million, an increase of $6.9 million and $4.6 million respectively from the same quarter in 2011, driven primarily by strong activity in the Civil division.
- Reported EBITDA margin of 21.3%.
- Reported gross margin of $14.2 million, an increase of $1.8 million compared to the same quarter in 2011.
- Acquired a landfill site in northeastern British Columbia to receive and manage contaminated waste. It is anticipated to be operational by the end of November, 2012.
- Established a field office and camp facility in Fox Creek, Alberta to better service the Company's existing client base and to respond to the increased activity in the area.
In the nine months ended September 30, 2012, the Company:
- Increased EBITDA and revenue by 32.3% and 13.1% respectively, from $21.6 million and $136.7 million to $28.6 million and $154.5 million respectively, a record for the Company for the first nine month period of a year, primarily due to strong activity in the Civil division and continued strength of other divisions.
- Reported comprehensive income of $10.0 million compared to a comprehensive loss of $(27.8) million in the first nine months of 2011, mainly due to strong results in the Civil division, as well as the recognition of a deferred income tax recovery in the current period, versus the non-cash charge loss on the change in fair value of trust and subordinated units in the comparative period.
- Opened a field office in Lloydminster, Alberta in order to better service the Company's existing customer base conducting heavy oil operations in the area.
|Three months ended September 30||Nine months ended September 30|
|(thousands of Canadian dollars, except per share amounts, margins and ratios)||2012||2011||2012||2011|
|Revenue by segment|
|Gross margin percentage||23.6%||22.3%||21.3%||19.1%|
|General and administrative||1,409||1,534||4,418||4,475|
|EBITDA margin percentage||21.3%||19.5%||18.5%||15.8%|
|Amortization of property and equipment||3,932||5,147||11,161||15,357|
|Amortization of intangible assets||58||741||614||2,474|
|Loss on disposal of property and equipment||671||562||1,191||1,236|
|Foreign exchange (gain) loss||(1,346)||3,709||(1,361)||3,499|
|Net finance costs||2,660||2,634||7,939||5,854|
|Loss on fair value of financial instruments||114||(1,803)||384||1,368|
|Net income before revaluation of trust units||6,655||(220)||8,642||(8,185)|
|Change in value of trust and subordinated units||-||-||-||19,655|
|Comprehensive income (loss) before tax||6,655||(220)||8,642||(27,840)|
|Deferred income tax recovery (expense)||(1,375)||-||1,403||-|
|Comprehensive income (loss)||$||5,280||$||(220)||$||10,045||$||(27,840)|
|Net income (loss) per share - basic||0.05||-||0.10||(0.31)|
|Net income (loss) per share - diluted||0.05||-||0.09||(0.31)|
SELECTED FINANCIAL INFORMATION AND NON-IFRS MEASURES
Selected financial information for the three and nine months period ended September 30, 2012 and 2011 is set out above and includes the following non-IFRS financial measures: Gross margin, Gross margin percentage, EBITDA and EBITDA margin percentage. This information should be read in conjunction with the unaudited condensed consolidated financial statements for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2012 and the Company's Management, Discussion and Analysis ("MD&A"), available under the Company's profile on the SEDAR website at www.sedar.com. Further information respecting the non-IFRS financial measures is contained in the Company's MD&A.
FORWARD LOOKING INFORMATION
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve substantial known and unknown risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are identified by their use of terms and phrases such as "anticipate", "achievable", "believe", "expect", "estimate", "plan", "intend", "project", "may", "should", "could", "predict", "will", or similar words suggesting future outcomes or language suggesting an outlook. Forward-looking statements and information are based on Petrowest's current beliefs as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to Petrowest concerning anticipated business performance. Although management of Petrowest considers these assumptions to be reasonable based on information currently available to it, they may prove to be incorrect. Forward-looking statements are subject to many external variables that are beyond Petrowest's control, such as fluctuating prices for crude oil and natural gas, changes in drilling activity, and general local and global economic, political, business and weather conditions. If any of these or other uncertainties materialize, the actual results of Petrowest may vary materially from those expected.
Petrowest is an Alberta corporation involved in pre-drilling and post-completion energy services as well as industrial and civil infrastructure projects, gravel crushing and hauling for non-energy sector customers. Petrowest's primary operations are based in the Grande Prairie area of northern Alberta and in northeastern British Columbia.
SOURCE: Petrowest Corporation
For further information:
please contact Richard Quigley, President and Chief Executive Officer, at (780) 830-0881, or Ian Hogg, Vice President, Corporate Affairs, at (403) 384-0407, or Lloyd Wiggins, Chief Financial Officer, at (416) 945-6607, or firstname.lastname@example.org.