CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI, Feb. 9, 2012 /CNW/ - Scotiabank, Canada's Hockey Bank, invites all PEI residents to come out and celebrate Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada on February 11, 2012.
"We've been counting down to this since last year's celebration in Whitehorse, and have arranged for some really great hockey games and hockey-themed events to celebrate Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada right here on the Island," said David Noel, Scotiabank District Vice President, East New Brunswick and PEI. "From watching a MHL game to seeing the Stanley Cup up close and meeting NHL Alumni, we have activities for everyone to enjoy - and for those who can't join us in person, they can follow along via CBC's live cross-country broadcast."
Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada is a full day of hockey featuring games with all seven Canadian NHL teams being broadcast on CBC on Saturday, February 11, kicking off at 12 noon ET. Festivities in PEI will take place leading up to and on game day itself, which include:
- Visiting Scotiabank Bigger Save Winning Team's Arrival: On Thursday, February 9th at 6:00 p.m., help welcome visiting girls hockey team, the Abbotsford Ice from B.C., who will be playing in Summerside this weekend. The team will arrive in Charlottetown with Vancouver 2010 Olympic Gold Medalist Tessa Bonhomme. Join the local Pownal Red Devils in welcoming the girls at the Charlottetown Airport.
- Hockey Legends and the Stanley Cup: On Friday, February 10th, Lanny McDonald, PJ Stock, Bryan Trottier, Tessa Bonhomme, and mascot Scoti will be at Scotiabank's Summerside branch at 274 Water Street with Lord Stanley's Cup, from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Bring your camera and get your photo taken with these legends;
- Scotiabank Bigger Save Hockey Game: On Saturday, February 11th from 5:15 - 6:45 p.m., watch the Pownal Red Devils take on the Abbotsford Ice Atom team from Richmond, B.C. at Summerside EastLink Arena;
- MHL Hockey Game: Cheer on the Maritime Hockey League game on Saturday, February 11th from 8- 9:30 p.m. at the Summerside EastLink Arena where the Miramichi Timberwolves will take on the Summerside Western Capitals;
- Scotiabank Girls HockeyFest: On Saturday, February 11th, over 100 young girls will be coached by Olympic Gold Medalists and Canadian Women's Hockey elite players Cassie Campbell-Pascall and Tessa Bonhomme. The girls will receive training on and off the ice as well as advice from their coaches on how hard work, dedication and determination can help them reach their goals. The girls' training is on Saturday, February 11th from 9:45 - 11:45 a.m. at Summerside EastLink Arena.
Scotiabank is very proud to be Canada's Hockey Bank and is the Official Bank of the NHL®, NHLPA®, NHL Alumni™, CWHL, Winnipeg Jets®, Toronto Maple Leafs®, Calgary Flames® whose home arena is the Scotiabank Saddledome, and the Ottawa Senators® whose home arena is Scotiabank Place. The Bank also has a partnership with the Montreal Canadiens®. Scotiabank has a long tradition of supporting hockey in Canada from local teams and minor hockey associations to professional players and leagues. Across Canadian communities from coast to coast, Scotiabank's Community Hockey Sponsorship Program reaches out to more than 3,700 minor hockey teams and leagues.To find out more about Scotiabank's hockey programs, please visit www.facebook.com/scotiahockeyclub.
Scotiabank is committed to supporting the communities in which we live and work, both in Canada and abroad, through our global philanthropic program, 'Bright Future'. Recognized as a leader internationally and among Canadian corporations for our charitable donations and philanthropic activities, Scotiabank has provided on average approximately $45 million annually to community causes around the world over each of the last five years. Visit us at www.scotiabank.com.
For further information:
Crystal Jongeward, Scotiabank Media Communications, 416-402-2178 or [email protected]. (PEI on site contact for February 11th).
Diana Hart: Scotiabank Media Communications, 416-866-7238 or [email protected].