TORONTO, Feb. 4 /CNW/ -
- Founded in December 1998, PayPal is a leading global online payment
- PayPal has 81 million active registered accounts* (nearly 210
million total accounts) and is available in 190 markets.
* active accounts are those that have had activity in the past 12
- PayPal supports payments in 24 currencies including: U.S. Dollar,
Australian Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Hong Kong Dollar, Singapore
Dollar, Taiwan New Dollar, New Zealand Dollar, Euro, Swiss Franc,
Czech Koruna, Swedish Krona, Danish Krone, Norwegian Krone, Hungarian
Forint, Mexican Peso, Philippine Peso, Malaysian Ringgit, Chinese
RMB, Israeli New Shekel, Pounds Sterling, Brazilian Real, Polish
Zloty, Thai Baht and Japanese Yen.
- PayPal has local Web sites in 20 markets including Argentina,
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany,
Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland,
Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United
- PayPal maintains a very low loss rate - 0.20 percent, just one fifth
of one percent.
- PayPal is headquartered in San Jose, Calif. with offices in Timonium,
Md. Its European headquarters is in Luxembourg and its international
headquarters is located in Singapore. PayPal has operation centers
located near Omaha, Neb. and Dublin, Ireland. PayPal has development
centers in Austin, Tx.; Scottsdale, Ariz; Chennai, India; Singapore;
and Tel Aviv, Israel.
Q4 2009 Financials
- PayPal's revenues now represent 34 percent of eBay Inc. companywide
- PayPal revenues for Q4 2009 were $796 million, up 28 percent year
- PayPal's international business generated $364 million in revenue in
Q4 2009, representing nearly 46 percent of PayPal's total revenue.
- PayPal's Total Payment Volume, the total value of transactions in Q4
2009 was $21 billion, up 34 percent year over year.
- Merchant Services Total Payment Volume was $12 billion in Q4 2009, up
50 percent year over year.
- Merchant Services Total Payment Volume as percent of Total Payment
Volume was approximately 57 percent in Q4 2009.
- eBay Total Payment Volume as percent of Total Payment Volume was
approximately 42 percent in Q4 2009.
- Bill Me Later Total Payment Volume as percent of Total Payment Volume
was approximately 1 percent in Q4 2009.
- PayPal transacted about $2,641 in Total Payment Volume every second
in Q4 2009.
- PayPal accounts contain approximately $3 billion in stored value that
turns over every 2 weeks.
2009 Full-year Financials
- PayPal's 2009 annual revenue was $2.8 billion, up 16 percent year
- PayPal's net Total Payment Volume for 2009, the total value of
transactions, was $71 billion, up 19 percent year over year.
- PayPal's Total Payment Volume in 2009 represented nearly 15 percent
of global e-commerce and 16.5 percent of US e-commerce.
- Cross-border trade now accounts for approximately 25 percent of
PayPal's total payment volume.
- Merchant Services processed $39.5 billion in Total Payment Volume in
2009, up 34 percent year over year.
- In 2009, for the first time, both annual revenue and TPV from
PayPal's merchant services business exceeded the annual revenue and
TPV that PayPal generated from the Marketplaces business.
SOURCE PayPal Canada
For further information: For further information: media please contact: Nazia Khan, Environics, (on behalf of PayPal Canada), firstname.lastname@example.org, (416) 969-2781