QUÉBEC CITY, Feb. 11, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - 2018 ended on a high note for Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB). The airport welcomed 1,774,871 passengers, a 6.2% increase over the previous year.
"In 2018, we welcomed 104,000 more passengers than in 2017. This is a significant increase for YQB and represents the 17th consecutive year of growth. Over the past several years, we have made significant investments in the development, modernization and expansion of our facilities to respond to growing global traffic, remain competitive and offer a world-class passenger experience. I would like to thank our employees for their remarkable work to fulfil our promise of excellence. Clearly, their effort is paying off as more and more passengers are choosing YQB," stated Gaëtan Gagné, President and CEO of YQB.
Growing airline presence
In 2018, many airlines have increased travel to and from YQB. WestJet has added a new destination (Calgary) and increased the number of flights to Toronto. American Airlines has also doubled its flights to the United States, including more flights to Philadelphia. The airline will continue expanding its offer in 2019, adding summer flights to Chicago. The arrival of Air Canada Rouge for the Québec City-Montréal and Québec City-Toronto routes has also been very well received by passengers. Air Transat also has more of a presence in YQB, having added more summer flights to Montréal to help its passengers travel to Europe. Finally, Sunwing has added Puerto Vallarta as a destination, pleasing sun-seekers in the Québec City area.
All eyes on Québec City in 2019
The organization aims to continue its route development efforts. To that end, it is particularly proud to welcome Routes America, the largest route development forum in the Americas, which is being held for the first time in Canada. From February 12 to 14, hundreds of influencers from the airline industry will gather in Québec City to plan and negotiate the future of air services while discovering the area's beauty and business potential. "This annual forum is one of the largest and most prestigious in the airline industry. It's an invaluable opportunity to build relationships with airlines from around the world, showcase YQB and its cutting-edge facilities and pave the way for fruitful partnerships. Hosting this event in Québec City will position YQB as a world‑class airport capable of rivalling the best in the industry.
About Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
YQB is managed by Aéroport de Québec Inc., the private corporation responsible since November 1, 2000 for the management, operation, maintenance and development of Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB). Around a dozen carriers use YQB to offer connections to North America, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe, and daily flights to the main hubs in eastern North America.
- 2018 – Airport Innovation & Excellence Award – Canadian Tourism Awards
- 2018 – Excellence in Communication Practices – ACI-NA
- 2018 – INOVA Award from the Urban Development Institute of Québec
- 2018 – Level 2 Airport Carbon Accreditation certification
- 2018 – Grands prix du génie-conseil québécois – mechanical and electrical building engineering
- 2018 – Employee Recommended Workplace Awards, presented by Morneau Shepell and The Globe and Mail
- 2017 and 2015 – Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Best lounge in North America
- 2017 – Élixir PMI-Montréal award for outstanding management of the YQB 2018 project
- 2017 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the "YQB, Aéroport de Québec" mobile app
- 2016 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the "aeroportdequebec.com" website
- 2016 – Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Highly Commended
- 2013/2011/2010 – Best airport in North America in the 0 to 2 million passenger category, Airport Service Quality (ASQ)
SOURCE Aéroport de Québec
For further information: Laurianne Lapierre, Advisor, Communications and Media Relations, Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport, Phone: 418 640‑2700, extension 2624