Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life release Public Accountability Statement
WINNIPEG, April 20, 2017 /CNW/ - Well-being takes many forms, from financial security and good health to safe workplaces and a clean environment.
Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life today released their 2016 Public Accountability Statement, Commitment to well-being. The report describes how the companies operate in a socially responsible manner – and includes highlights of the more than 900 ways they gave back to their communities last year.
"Our companies have deep roots in Canada that reflect a commitment to meeting the needs of our customers and are a testament to our people, values and sustainable approach to business," said Stefan Kristjanson, President and Chief Operating Officer.
A focus in 2016 on the financial, physical and mental well-being of customers, employees and communities included:
- ongoing support for financial literacy programming, along with new informational tools and research on retirement planning and critical illness insurance.
- an emphasis on wellness, career development and community engagement that earned the companies a place as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers and Top Employers for Young People.
- company funding for projects spanning education, health and wellness, arts, social services and community development from British Columbia to Atlantic Canada.
In addition, the companies were the only Canadian financial organization to achieve a place on CDP's 2016 "Climate A List", CDP's highest ranking award, indicating a leadership position in the field of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions disclosure and management.
2016 in numbers:
- $3.5 billion in salaries, commissions and taxes and $9.1 billion in insurance benefits paid into the Canadian economy.
- $12.4 million in funding to address community needs ranging from resources for educators and workplace essential skills training to basic needs such as shelter and food security for vulnerable Canadians.
- Community funding included $2.8 million for health projects such as new state-of-the-art medical equipment.
- More than 5,000 employees participated in career-development programs.
- A 13.6% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions intensity (2013-2016) across the real estate portfolio managed by our subsidiary GWL Realty Advisors.
About Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life
Great-West Life, together with London Life and Canada Life, serves the financial security needs of more than 13 million people across Canada. Responsible and ethical management is an intrinsic value of the companies and is essential to long-term profitability and value creation. As an Imagine Caring Company supporting the principles of corporate citizenship and benchmarks for community investment established by Imagine Canada, the companies donate a minimum of one per cent of average pre-tax profits to non-profit, charitable and community organizations each year.
Learn more about the organization's approach to corporate social responsibility.
SOURCE The Great-West Life Assurance Company
For further information: Tim Oracheski, Director, Media and Public Relations, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life, [email protected], 204.946.8961