Government of Canada awards a total of $750,000 to Québec City organization and business
QUÉBEC CITY, Aug. 16, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
Communities need to build on innovation to diversify strategically and develop lasting regional competitive advantages. Supporting community transition and diversification is therefore a Government of Canada priority.
The Honourable Jean‑Yves Duclos, Member of Parliament for Québec and Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, acting on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED), announced that Optonique, a non-profit organization, has been granted $350,000 in financial assistance, in the form of a non-repayable contribution. The funding will be used to implement its 2017–2020 action plan, whose goal is to assist Quebec optics-photonics companies with their commercialization, innovation, production and productivity, and training and employability activities.
Telops Inc. has been awarded $400,000 in financial assistance, in the form of a repayable contribution, to carry out research and development, manufacture cameras for commercial demonstrations and testing with potential clients, and plan international marketing activities.
"The Government of Canada firmly believes that innovation and the adoption of new technologies foster productivity and competitiveness and promote exports. We are very excited about supporting Optonique and Telops, two great examples of innovation right here in Québec City. With this financial contribution, the Government of Canada is demonstrating once again that it is looking to the future to create good jobs for the middle class and grow our economy."
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Member of Parliament for Québec and Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
"With its Innovation and Skills Plan, the Government of Canada has introduced an ambitious approach to supporting innovative Canadian businesses that are coming up with new ways of creating value and are looking to enter new markets. This is a firm commitment to the creation of sustainable jobs and to community prosperity."
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister responsible for CED
- Founded in 2000, Telops Inc. is a global SME that designs, manufactures and markets high-performance infrared and hyperspectral infrared cameras for the industrial, environmental, defence and academic research sectors. Innovation is one of the company's great strengths thanks to its highly skilled personnel and major investments in research and development.
- Established in fall 2017, Optonique, a Quebec pole of excellence in optics-photonics, is a non-profit industry hub whose mission is to advance the optics-photonics industry in Quebec. Optonique was established to address a need expressed by businesses and researchers to come together to create a synergy and promote Quebec's optics-photonics industry in Canada and abroad.
- CED is one of the six regional development agencies under the responsibility of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
- This year marks the 50th anniversary of federal regional economic development in Quebec: half a century of concrete action dedicated to the development of the regions and local businesses.
- For more information on CED and its priorities, consult the 2018–19 Departmental Plan or visit www.dec-ced.gc.ca.
SOURCE Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
For further information: Media Relations, Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions, 514-283-7443, [email protected]@canada.ca