LAVAL, QC, June 2, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - The STL (Société de transport de Laval) is re-launching Operation Smog Alert. This initiative encourages residents to use public transit on smog days during the summer.
First introduced in 2008, Operation Smog Alert reduces bus fares to $1 on smog days as of June 1. This operation is designed to promote the use of public transit and cut down on the number of vehicles which are the main cause of air pollution in the city. The STL's cash fare is normally $3.25 which makes the special $1 smog day fare a major discount on the regular cost of riding the bus.
Operation Smog Alert goes into effect every smog day in the summer from June 1 to Labour Day (September 7, 2015). When the air quality goes below acceptable limits according to health standards, Environment Canada issues a smog warning.
"We are pleased to be re-launching the Smog alert program. Last year, this program sparked a real change. This is an excellent opportunity for the people of Laval to make a difference and help the planet by choosing public transit" said David De Cotis, President of the STL's Board of Directors.
We estimate that this incentive could prompt 1,500 motorists to get off our roads in just one single day. This operation is good for the environment because it helps incite motorists to leave their vehicles at home on smog days.
As soon as the warning is issued in the afternoon, the STL puts its Smog Alert process into action and it will remain in effect throughout the following day. The reduced fare will be announced through the media, on the City of Laval's electronic signs and on the ministère des Transports du Québec's roadside messaging boards on local highways.
The STL, taking action
- The STL is responsible for over 20 million trips annually.
- The STL has rolled out the STL Synchro system to keep its clients informed in real time about its schedules and buses.
- The STL's fare policy is geared to encourage families to use public transit: an adult who pays a regular fare during the week or on statutory holidays can be accompanied by up to five children under the age of 12 for free. This policy is also applicable on smog days between July 1st and Labour Day. The $1 reduced fare on smog days during the summer period is a first in Quebec.
- The STL has partnered with the Association québécoise de lutte contre la pollution atmosphérique and with Communauto.
- We use our Facebook and Twitter accounts to share our news and travel notices.
- We created My STL to offer our clients the opportunity to receive updates about their regular bus lines and to find out what's new at the STL.
- Since the launch of our Operational support and user information system in 2009, we have increased our punctuality rate to nearly 90 %.
- The STL has received several awards and distinctions including the AQTR'S Grand prix d'excellence en transport en commun in 2010, which solidified our reputation for excellence.
- In 2011, the STL took the AQTR Communication Grand Public prize for its smog alert program.
- In May 2012, the STL received the ACTU, le Prix de leadership des entreprises in the Innovation category for the Clic carpooling project.
- In May 2012, the STL launched its new STL Sustainable mobility solution for businesses and organizations that are conscious of managing the travels of their employees more efficiently.
- In November 2012, the STL signed the International Union of Public Transport's (IUPT) Charter on Sustainable Development.
- In March 2013, the STL became the first transportation company in Quebec to be a certified "Healthy Enterprise"!
- In May 2013, the AQTr awarded the STL their Coup de cœur du jury d'honneur award for two projects: The Operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and CLIC the electric carpooling project launched in conjunction with the AMT.
- In 2013, the CUTA awarded the STL with two Corporate Leadership Awards: one in the Innovation category for its operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS) and other in the Marketing and Communications category for the "Let's Develop Together" contest.
- In November 2013, the STL received the Institut d'administration publique du Québec's Excellence award in the "e-Government" category for its real time operational support and user information system for paratransit.
- In 2014, the STL received the Prix Coup de cœur du jury d'honneur de l'AQTr for its Projet d'expérimentation d'un bus électrique à recharge lente bus project.
- In October 2014, the STL was given special mention in the sustainable development category for its real time operational support and user information system for paratransit (OSIS).
- In October 2014, the STL received the ATUQ Prix Reconnaissance for the development and implementation of the new Horizon 65+ fare.
- In October 2014, Recyc-Québec honoured the STL with a Special Mention in its Ici on Recycle program.
SOURCE Société de transport de Laval
For further information: Marie-Céline Bourgault, Communications and Marketing Director, Société de transport de Laval, 450 662-5429, email@example.com