Support Helps Festivals and Events Generate More Visits and Spending
TORONTO, May 15, 2015 /CNW/ - The Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation (OTMPC) is recognizing the importance of festivals and events by providing $1.9 million in marketing support to 136 festivals and events across Ontario.
Through the Tourism Event Marketing Program (TEMP), OTMPC assists in marketing festivals and events to attract more tourists and generate increased tourism spending both within Ontario and out of province. This investment helped generate six million tourism visits last year. Effective event marketing strengthens and extends Ontario's brand image and helps showcase the province as a dynamic travel destination.
The TEMP program helps promote attendance and encourage more visitors to stay overnight. On average, tourism visitors stay two days, making a significant contribution to local economies. Event organizers reported selling over 50,000 overnight packages through TEMP supported marketing efforts.
"Ontario is home to so many special festivals and events and I'm proud that our government has committed to investing in 136 of them across the province this year through the Tourism Event Marketing Program. Our continued investment in festivals and events creates jobs, builds local economies and gives residents and visitors the opportunity to create lasting memories."
– Honourable Michael Coteau, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"Attracting more visitors and increasing visitor spending is a key reason for the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation to support festivals and events through programs like the Tourism Event Marketing Program. We recognize that tourism experiences, like festivals and events, influence trip-planning decisions. That is why we want to invest in marketing all the great festivals and events across Ontario."
– Ronald Holgerson, President and CEO, Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation
"The support festivals and events receive through OTMPC's Tourism Event Marketing Program is very important to the growth and sustainability of festivals and their ability to attract visitors to Ontario. The economic impact and job creation of festivals and events in communities is significant. As a membership-based not-for-profit organization, FEO is grateful for the partnerships and support for festivals and events in the province."
– Kathrin Delutis, Chief Executive Officer, Festival and Events Ontario
- Since 2003, the Tourism Event Marketing Program has provided $28.4 million in funding to support over 1,300 festivals and events.
- TEMP is supporting festivals and events that occur between April 1, 2015 and March 31, 2016.
- Visitors to Ontario are encouraged to share their tourism experience on Twitter using the hashtag #DiscoverON.
- Tourism is an important economic driver. 2012 figures indicate that tourism supported over 359,400 jobs and generated $28 billion for Ontario's economy.
- Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation is an agency of the Government of Ontario with a vision to position Ontario as a preferred global destination.
- See a list of the successful 2015 Tourism Event Marketing Program recipients.
- Discover more about Ontario's festivals and events.
- Learn more about OTMPC, its programs and partnership opportunities.
If you do not wish to receive electronic messages regarding OTMPC news, please e-mail [email protected] indicating "unsubscribe".
SOURCE Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation
For further information: Lydia McCourt, Corporate Communications Manager, OTMPC, 416-314-6590, [email protected], 10 Dundas Street East, Suite 900, Toronto, Ontario M7A 2A1