TORONTO, Jan. 5, 2018 /CNW/ - Ontario Place Corporation has issued a request for bids (RFB) to proceed with the interior renovation of the historic Pavilion Pods. The renovation work will transform the Pods into multipurpose event spaces.
The successful proponent will support the construction of:
- Interior renovation of Pod 1 and the main level of Pod 2
- Kitchen facilities
- Universal washroom
- Accessibility improvements and a lift to access the Pods
- Upgraded electrical, mechanical and data capabilities
The Pavilion Pods at Ontario Place were originally built in 1971 as multimedia exhibition spaces and a restaurant. The five steel and aluminum Pavilion Pods, which overlook Lake Ontario, were designed by Eb Zeidler for the original construction of the site.
The Pods are part of Ontario's cultural heritage landscape and hold significant historical value. The transformation of the Pods is part of a broader vision to revitalize Ontario Place into a year-round waterfront destination that is innovative, fun and engaging for residents and visitors of all ages.
As the revitalization of Ontario Place progresses, the work is being completed in phases. The first phase was the opening of Trillium Park and William G. Davis Trail, which was completed in June 2017 and added 7.5 acres of spectacular new parkland to Toronto's waterfront on the East Island of Ontario Place. Ontario Place has also re-opened the iconic Cinesphere theatre, which features IMAX® movies for everyone to enjoy. The next phase includes the transformation of the East Island into a Celebration Common and the West Island as a hub for culture, discovery and innovation.
"I am thrilled to see the great strides our government has made in transforming Ontario Place and bringing people back to this spectacular waterfront destination. We are building on our progress by moving forward with the renovation phase of two iconic heritage Pods to transform them into flexible event spaces. With a beautiful view of Lake Ontario and downtown Toronto, these Pods are a pillar of the waterfront site." - Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"We are continually making improvements to the site to welcome people back to Ontario Place while transforming it into a vibrant, year-round place to explore and visit. The Pods are going to be multipurpose and offer new opportunities for programming and events hosted by Ontario Place as well as through rentals. We are enthusiastic about the future of the site and how the Pods will complement the guest experience." - Penny Lipsett, Chair of the Board, Ontario Place Corporation
Ontario Place Quick Facts:
- The request for bids can be found at https://ontariotenders.bravosolution.com/ and closes on February 5, 2018 at 11 a.m. EST. To view the Opportunity Listing, go to "Current Opportunities", search by "Project Info", enter "TENDER_7778" and click "Search"
- On the West Island, Ontario Place hosted various themed ON150 festivals each long weekend in the summer of 2017 and recently launched Winter at Ontario Place which will run from December 8, 2017 to March 18, 2018
- Ontario Place's iconic Cinesphere re-opened to the public on November 3, 2017 with regular, year-round IMAX screenings
- Trillium Park and William G. Davis Trail opened in June 2017, welcoming people back to a spectacular piece of Toronto's waterfront for the first time in over 40 years
About Ontario Place
Ontario Place is an agency of the Government of Ontario that features 155-acres of waterfront property in Toronto. The iconic location is a venue for live music, festivals and events. From enjoying the skyline, to attending a festival or concert — Ontario Place is a gathering space for everyone in the province. In 2017, Ontario Place hosted a series of events on the West Island as part of Ontario150, the province's celebration of Ontario and Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation. Ontario Place also re-opened the iconic and historic Cinesphere IMAX theatre in 2017.
For more information about Ontario Place, please visit www.ontarioplace.com
SOURCE Ontario Place
For further information: For media inquiries, please contact: MAVERICK PR, 416-371-3155, [email protected]