Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance comes together to announce Power Framework for smart electricity decisions
Nov 16, 2017, 10:00 ET
Diverse group of major energy consumers, producers and distributors from across Ontario releases eight recommendations to guide decisions about the future of Ontario's electricity system
TORONTO, Nov. 16, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance, a diverse group of 19 energy consumers, businesses, producers and distributors from across Ontario, took the unprecedented step of joining together to announce its Power Framework to ensure smart electricity decisions.
With eight recommendations, the Power Framework provides the roadmap Ontario needs for smart electricity decisions that achieve the best outcomes for Ontario's electricity consumers through the principles of transparency, competition, objectivity and independence.
All three main political parties have at one point in Ontario's history struggled tremendously with energy planning. With new technologies, electricity planning is going to become even more complex and difficult. Therefore, the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance is asking each party to commit to its Power Framework, which focuses on:
- Transparency: A plan to build confidence in an open, accountable system with an engaged Legislature and rules that respect the public's right to be informed;
- Competition: A commitment to competitive processes, wherever feasible, that help support lower costs for both government and electricity consumers;
- Objectivity: A commitment to smart electricity decisions informed by rigorous cost-benefit analysis and objective procurement criteria that ensure Ontario ratepayers are getting the best value; and
- Independence: A process where independent agencies like the IESO, OEB and Ontario Electricity Safety Authority are appropriately resourced to make independent decisions and be held accountable by the provincial Legislature.
Ontario's electricity sector governance and planning framework should be revised to reflect these fundamental principles. This will help ensure the sector's cost effectiveness, reliability and ability to adapt. Decisions about Ontario's electricity system have far-reaching implications, impacting the province's economic strength and prosperity for years to come, and are fundamental to the realization of the province's ambitions.
All Ontarians have a shared stake in this framework and its objectives. The Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance is fully committed to working with all private and public stakeholders to advance this framework.
About the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance
The Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance is a diverse group of energy consumers, businesses, producers and distributors from across Ontario. The alliance is made up of industry associations, consumer groups, boards of trade, and leaders from Ontario's business community. The alliance currently includes the following members:
- Association of Power Producers of Ontario;
- Canadian Federation of Independent Business;
- Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters;
- Consumer Policy Institute;
- Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario;
- Greater Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber of Commerce;
- Greater Kingston Chamber of Commerce;
- Greater Toronto Hotel Association;
- London Chamber of Commerce;
- Mississauga Board of Trade;
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce;
- Ontario Energy Association;
- Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers;
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture;
- Ontario Restaurant Hotel & Motel Association;
- Peterborough Chamber of Commerce;
- Society of Energy Professionals;
- Toronto Region Board of Trade; and
- Windsor-Essex Regional Chamber of Commerce.
All Ontarians stand to benefit from smart electricity decisions. Indeed, the breadth of members of the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance speaks to the far-reaching impact of electricity policy, and the importance of enacting this framework.
Select Quotes from Members of the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance
"The future success of Ontario families and businesses will be heavily influenced by our energy planning decisions. To optimize outcomes for consumers, we need to adopt best practices in decision making. The breadth of our coalition speaks to the tremendous support for the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance Power Framework proposals. We hope all the political parties in Ontario will support and endorse our Power Framework for smart electricity decisions."
- Vince Brescia, President & CEO, Ontario Energy Association
"The Ontario Chamber of Commerce has long advocated that future energy policies reflect the principles of competitiveness, transparency and flexibility. The Power Framework and its 8 recommendations presented by the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance builds on the advocacy of OCC and provides a collective voice poised tackle the energy challenge currently faced by Ontario businesses."
- Richard Koroscil, Interim President and CEO, Ontario Chamber of Commerce
"Smart electricity decisions are critical to a vital rental-housing industry and strong economy. We look forward to working together with such a diverse group of impacted consumers, businesses and advocates to advance a Power Framework that charts the course for our shared prosperity. By focusing on transparency, competition, objectivity and independence we're setting the stage for Ontario to succeed in an increasingly complex energy climate."
- Paul Fogolin, Vice President – Government & Industry Relations, Federation of Rental-Housing Providers of Ontario
"Ontario is at a turning point in its planning process regarding the future energy needs of the province. In order for businesses in Kingston to grow and succeed, it is imperative that future energy policies respect the concerns of businesses and support future economic growth."
- Bill Stewart, Advocacy & Policy Development Specialist, Greater Kingston Chamber of Commerce
"Businesses across rural and urban areas of Waterloo Region require competitive electricity for major investment decisions. This plan provides the framework for short and long-term stability in pricing."
- Art Sinclair, Vice President, Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce
"As part of our strategic plan, OGVG looks forward to working through the Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance to facilitate the move to smart electricity planning, ensuring our members remain competitive and continue to provide fresh, local produce to Ontarians all year-round."
- Joe Sbrocchi, General Manager, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers
"The Peterborough Chamber of Commerce decided to sign on with the coalition recognizing that electricity is one of the most prominent concerns amongst our 900-member businesses in the City and County of Peterborough. The principles of an energy planning framework will help guide long term electricity decisions and that will benefit businesses and residents in our community."
- Stuart Harrison, President & CEO, Peterborough Chamber of Commerce
"We are the engineers, scientists and other professionals who help power our province. The Society of Energy Professionals is proud to be part of the Alliance because Ontario needs a facts-first conversation about our energy system in the next election. Evidence-based decision-making benefits all Ontarians – it's the only way to get the cleanest energy at the lowest price."
- Michelle Johnston, The Society of Energy Professionals
"Sound policies and strategic investments can bring economic development across the province. Energy affordability and reliability are critical for rural communities and agricultural businesses to drive prosperity. We look forward to working with the Alliance to promote smart energy policy that benefits all Ontarians."
- Ian Nokes, Policy Analyst, Ontario Federation of Agriculture
SOURCE Ontario Electricity Stakeholders Alliance
For further information: [email protected]
Share this article