From open classes to rehearsals of upcoming performances, a multitude of activities await visitors at the Montreal-based institution.
MONTREAL, Sept. 23, 2015 /CNW Telbec/ - On Saturday September 26, 2015, from 11 am to 5 pm, the students, teachers and staff members of the National Theatre School of Canada (NTS) invite the general public and future candidates on campus, at 5030, Saint-Denis Street, in Montreal, for the annual Open House. Held each year during Journées de la culture (Québec's Culture Days), this unique day of gathering and of discovery brings to light the daily experience and awe‑inspiring work of the National Theatre School's 171 students and of its dynamic team of teachers, coaches and program directors.
From open classes to workshops, from rehearsals to performances and exhibitions, dozens of engaging activities will give visitors a behind-the-scenes look at the Acting, Production, Set and Costume Design, Directing and Playwriting programs. The event will take on a particularly festive note this year, as it will be the occasion to kick off the celebrations surrounding the 40th anniversary of the « Écriture dramatique » program, the illustrious Playwriting program of the School's French section.
A brief overview of the Open House programming:
- Open rehearsals: Total Liquidation, a 3-year devised theatre project led by director Jordan Tannahill with the graduating Acting students, to be performed October 20-24, 2015 at Monument-National; Macbeth d'après Müller, directed by Sylvain Bélanger, with the graduating Interprétation students (Acting program of the French section) students, to be presented October 27-31 at Monument-National.
- The Living Library: a bilingual poetry performance happening throughout the library;
- Demonstrations: stage combat, movement, voice, and physical training;
- Choral singing performances;
- The Digital Café - Storytelling in the Digital Age: online storytelling using social media and other digital platforms, presented by the Playwriting students;
- Interactive activities and workshops: lighting, life drawing, playwriting (French section), dance, improvisation, etc.;
- Installations created by the Production students (French section) and an exhibition featuring set mock-ups as well as costume drawings and models by the Set and Costume Design students.
Finally, information sessions about the NTS training programs, held by the program directors, will take place throughout the day. More info about the Open House can be found on our website at ent-nts.ca and on our Facebook page.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL THEATRE SCHOOL OF CANADA
The National Theatre School of Canada (NTS) has been a preeminent Canadian theatre school for over 50 years, fostering generations of celebrated artists. Located in Montreal, it offers high-level, rigorous, and professional training programs in Acting, Production, Set and Costume Design, Playwriting, and Directing, in both English and French. NTS trains passionate cultural leaders who will shape the future of theatre, in Canada and abroad.
SOURCE NATIONAL THEATRE SCHOOL OF CANADA
For further information: Stéphanie Brody, 514 842-7954, ext. 165, [email protected]