TORONTO, Jan. 24, 2013 /CNW/ -
Your nominees for the J-Source Canadian Newsperson of the Year award
We called for nominees and you answered, giving us a list of 28 people from across the country that you deemed worthy of the J-Source Canadian Newsperson of the Year award. Check out this roundup of Canadian journalism that you nominated.
Should Sun News Network be a must-carry?
By Justin Ling
Sun News Network has applied to the CRTC for mandatory carriage on basic cable as it announced it expects to run a $17-million loss in 2012. Does the network still have some growing up to do? Yes. But Justin Ling says it can't do that unless we give it a chance.
On research, exposure and rates: The effect of paywalls on freelancers
By Alexandra Posadzki
It's undeniable that paywalls could provide an important new revenue stream for cash-strapped media outlets, but they also pose unique challenges—and perhaps some hidden opportunity—for freelance reporters.
Finding a way forward for Canadian press accountability
By Belinda Alzner
With the provincial structure of press councils perhaps soon becoming a thing of the past, what is the way forward for press accountability?
Clean up your copy: 15 common writing errors
By Jaclyn Law
This crash course in copy editing will help you identify common problems in your writing, power up your prose and find solutions for copy conundrums.
IN THE NEWS
- Krista Erickson leaves Sun TV's Canada Live
- Richard Garneau, French-Canadian sports journalist, dies at 82
- Jean-Philippe Cipriani named editor-in-chief of ProjetJ
- Book review: Canadian Television: Text and Context
- Western University campus space and press freedom debate
- Government statement singles out 'controversial reporter'
- University of Toronto Scarborough hiring journalism lecturer
- CAJ Awards accepting applications until Feb. 8
- Jan. 31: CJF J-Talk: Journalism, Disrupted: How to Create Media Innovation, ON
- Feb. 6: The Role of Media in the Arab Spring, QC
- Feb. 28: CJF J-Talk: Save the Date, ON
- Mar. 7-8: CFP: [Re]Visions: Protest and Resistance, ON
J-Source and ProjetJ are projects of The Canadian Journalism Foundation in collaboration with leading journalism schools and organizations.
CJF News: Livestream and liveblog will be available for the soldout CJF J-Talk Journalism, Disrupted: How to Create Media Innovation on Jan. 31. Details coming soon.
CJF Award: Only a few days remain to nominate your choice for the Lifetime Achievement Award, recognizing an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to journalism in Canada. Deadline is Jan. 28.
SOURCE: Canadian Journalism Foundation
For further information: