TORONTO, Oct. 9, 2014 /CNW/ -
Postmedia's plan to buy all of Sun Media's 175 English-language newspapers and websites has many people concerned about the concentration of media ownership. Associate Editor Tamara Baluja mapped current daily newspaper ownership in Canada and how that would change if this deal goes through. Plus: read our coverage of the deal and the internal memos sent by the two companies.
Brown runs Canadaland, a weekly media criticism podcast that has become a must-listen for any Canadian media watcher. Aeman Ansari reports.
There are two common misconceptions about how journalists cover suicide, writes Gemma Richardson: that they only talk about suicide in an over-the-top, sensational manner, and the spotlight on high-profile celebrity suicides is in contrast to a long-standing taboo of reporting on a forbidden topic.
The MacDonald Report is the first expansion for allNovaScotia since the iconoclastic news site launched more than 12 years ago. Business of Journalism Editor Kelly Toughill reports.
The Online News Association conference offers an important look at what's new and what's next in digital journalism. Susan Newhook shares her takeaways from the conference.
- This week in Canadian media history: First Canadian television station begins broadcasting
- CBC ombudsman: Is it okay to feature family members in a story?
- Reid Fiest named Alberta correspondent for Global National
- Live from London: CBC's Jeff Semple shares his one-man reporting show
- Ed Greenspon to lead Bloomberg's energy, environment coverage
- Live blog: Native Advertising—Journalism's saviour or sellout?
- Globe public editor: On fact checking with married and maiden names
- Oct. 15: Canadian News Hall of Fame Induction and Dinner for John Honderich and Craig Oliver
- Oct. 15: #telleveryone book launch
- Oct. 17: RJAA Headliners Cocktail Reception
- Oct. 18: RJAA Brunch and AGM
- Oct. 21: Glenn Greenwald in conversation with David Walmsley
- Oct. 21: Travers Debates
- Oct. 23: Glenn Greenwald: The 2014 Beaverbrook Annual Lecturer
- Oct. 25: Glenn Greenwald Speaks
- Oct. 26: Brunch with CBC Vancouver's Andrew Chang
- Oct. 29: Jack Webster Awards Dinner
- More events
Image with caption: "Now on J-Source: Graphic: New concerns about media ownership after Postmedia-Sun deal; Jesse Brown dishes on Canadaland (CNW Group/J-Source)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20141009_C3119_PHOTO_EN_6521.jpg
For further information: Tamara Baluja, Associate Editor, J-Source, [email protected], 416.979.5000 ext 7433