OTTAWA, Nov. 2, 2015 /CNW/ - November 1, 2015 marked the beginning of National CO Awareness Week and the Canadian Gas Association (CGA) is reminding Canadians about simple but important measures to protect themselves and their families from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless toxic gas and in an enclosed space, such as a home or garage, even a small amount can cause serious illness or death. CO is produced through the incomplete combustion of propane, gasoline, natural gas, wood or heating oils. This can occur when a fuel-burning appliance is not maintained, a vent is blocked or damaged, or a vehicle is left running in an attached garage.
"There are no obvious signs of carbon monoxide presence in a building, which is why without a working CO alarm it is hard to detect. Regular maintenance of appliances and proper installation and testing of CO alarms are important steps that all residential and building owners must take to prevent and detect carbon monoxide," said Timothy M. Egan, president and CEO at CGA. "Awareness, prevention and detection is what we are reminding Canadians about this week."
Many provinces have taken necessary steps to help reduce incidences by establishing new regulations making carbon monoxide alarms mandatory in all residential homes. CGA also encourages homeowners to visit www.cga.ca for information and tools about carbon monoxide including CGA's latest 17 second video.
Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include flu-like symptoms without the fever, impaired motor functions, chest pain, tiredness or dizziness. If carbon monoxide is suspected leave the building immediately and contact 911. More information can be found here
CGA is the voice of Canada's natural gas distribution industry and its members are distribution companies, transmission companies, equipment manufacturers and other service providers. Natural gas has a central place in Canada's energy mix meeting over 30 per cent of the country's energy needs. Today over 6.6 million customers representing well over 20 million Canadians rely on natural gas for heat and power in homes, apartments, buildings, businesses, hospitals and schools.
SOURCE Canadian Gas Association
Video with caption: "Video: Have you installed carbon monoxide detectors in your home?". Video available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMV2-DqdNw
For further information: Paula Dunlop, Director, Public Affairs and Strategy, Canadian Gas Association, 613-748-0057 x341 or 613-614-3280, [email protected]