ETOBICOKE, ON, Nov. 5, 2012 /CNW/ - On the heels of another harvest season, farmers in Nova Scotia are being invited to turn in their obsolete or unwanted agricultural pesticides and do their part to protect the environment.
From Nov. 5 to Nov. 16 farmers can drop off their unwanted pesticides at participating ag retailers free of charge. The program, which comes to each province every three years, is operated by CleanFARMS, a national industry-led agricultural waste stewardship organization.
"Farmers are passionate about what they do and they're equally passionate about protecting the environment along the way. CleanFARMS is pleased to provide this environmentally safe way for farmers to dispose of their unwanted or obsolete agricultural pesticides," says Barry Friesen, general manager of CleanFARMS.
Nova Scotia farmers have a long history of good stewardship practices. Since 1998 they've returned more than 30,772 kilograms of obsolete pesticides. After collection, the pesticides are taken to a licensed waste management facility where they are disposed of through high temperature incineration.
Beth Densmore, president of Nova Scotia Federation of Agriculture says, "It is great to have this program in place, it gives us an easy, safe, no-cost option for disposing of the old and unwanted pesticide containers."
Farmers are invited to return all of their obsolete or unwanted agricultural pesticides in a secure container with the product label attached. This program is strictly for agricultural pesticides; fertilizers, treated seed, paint, solvents and domestic pesticides will not be accepted.
Collections will take place at the following locations from Nov. 5 to Nov. 16:
- Amherst - Amherst Co-op (17 Lawrence St)
- Antigonish - Antigonish Farm & Garden Co-op (91 Saint Andrews St)
- Bridgewater - Bridgewater Farmers Co-op (123 Elm St)
- Coldbrook - Scotian Gold Co-op (7027 Hwy 1)
- Collingwood Corner - Bragg Lumber Co. (99 Bragg Rd)
- Halifax - Halifax Seed Co. Ltd. (5860 Kane St)
- Kentville - Cavendish Agri Services Ltd. (1205 Hwy 359)
- Milford Station - Corridor Co-op (2289 Hwy 2)
- Sydney - United Farmers Co-op (502 Keltic Drive)
- Truro - Cavendish Agri Services Ltd. (38 Wade Rd)
- Truro - Truro Agromart Ltd. (547 Onslow Rd)
- Wilmont - Cavendish Agri Services Ltd. (14062 Hwy 1)
For further information:
For more information, visit www.cleanfarms.ca.
For media inquiries, please contact:
613-230-9881 or 613-608-3446