From Berlin to Taiwan, Where to Celebrate, Canuck-Style
TORONTO, June 27, 2017 /CNW/ -- It's a once-in-a-lifetime party, and one that Canadians, even those abroad, won't want to miss. Canada's 150th birthday bash will be the biggest yet, so if you'll be away on July 1 and want to mark this milestone with fellow Canucks, don't worry: there are plenty of parties you can join, all around the world. To help you find a celebration near you, the travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the champions of simple travel search, have rounded up their picks for the best parties for Canadians abroad to enjoy.
From Asia to Australia, Canadians (and friends of Canada) are busy prepping the poutine, lining up the Caesar glasses and readying the road hockey nets. In other words, it's a global party, complete with essential Canadian eats and drinks, and even some Canadian tunes as well. To find out where to get your Canadian fix on almost any continent in the world, check out the line-up of places we found opening their doors to all this July 1 in Top Spots for Celebrating Canada Day Abroad.
Here are five places to head for Nanaimo bars, Molson Canadian and other distinctly Canadian treats, this July 1:
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates – At the Dubai outpost of Toronto's Weslodge Saloon, you can take part in a Canada Day celebration that runs from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. and will include several events and activities to help you feel as if you're celebrating at home. Take advantage of the hot dog station, enjoy a special poutine menu (which includes a decadent lobster poutine) and satisfy your sweet tooth at the maple taffy snow station. There will also be Canada 150-themed beverages on offer and prizes for the most patriotically dressed.
- Sydney, Australia – Celebrate Canada's 150th in Sydney with a winter wonderland-themed birthday bash. The Greenwood Hotel at North Sydney Station will play host to a variety of Canada-inspired events, which includes bringing in a whopping 50 tonnes of snow. There will also be Caesars, real poutine, Canadian beer, a street hockey tournament, DJs, games and prizes. Guests will also have the chance to win a trip for two to Canada thanks to Air Canada.
- Los Angeles, California – Canadians Abroad of Southern California, in partnership with the Consulate General of Canada, will be throwing a birthday celebration for Canada at the Hard Rock Café on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles. Canada's very own Maestro Fresh Wes will be performing, a DJ will be spinning the latest hits and there will be food and drink specials all night including, of course, Canadian beer and Caesars. The event is family friendly and kids under five get in free.
- Berlin, Germany – The grounds of Berlin's BRLO Brewhouse will be home to another Canada Day celebration abroad. This party kicks off at noon and will feature a range of Canadian culinary specialties, including authentic poutine, along with Canadian craft beer, Maple leaf cake baking for kids, a DJ, stand-up comedy, a raffle and a performance by Toronto-based band Hidden Cameras.
- Taipei, Taiwan – Celebration Canada is the largest foreign national day celebration in Taiwan, and this year's bash celebrating Canada's 150th will take place at Hakka Cultural Park in Taipei. The festivities come courtesy of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan and will be a day-long, free festival featuring live Canadian and Taiwanese musicians and bands, a hockey booth, activities for kids including face painting and temporary Canada-themed tattoos, poutine, Canadian beer, wine and spirits and, of course, Caesars. But just note that if you are craving a Caesar, they sell out fast so get in line early. The festivities end with a fireworks show at 9 p.m.
If you won't be in any of those spots this July 1, have no fear: Canada 150 celebrations can also be found here: New York City, New York; Singapore; London, England; Fukuoka, Japan; and Bermuda. Plus there are two websites listing all the Canada Day parties in the U.S. and the UK as well, so check them out for invites to parties big and small! Bring on the poutine, spicy Caesars and butter tarts and help make sure Canada is celebrated around the world. For more details and Cheapflights.ca's complete list of boffo birthday bashes where you can celebrate Canada's 150th, head to www.cheapflights.ca/news/top-spots-for-celebrating-canada-day-abroad.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Founded in 1996, Cheapflights is a leading global flight comparison and deals publishing platform dedicated to taking the complexity out of finding the best value flights through the application of innovative, intuitive technologies: Smart search. Made simple. It is now a market leader in the UK, US, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand generating more than C$4 billion in global downstream revenue for its partners as it expands into numerous other territories. More than 120 million users visit its websites and apps each year, receiving more than two billion search results a month from across 900,000 routes. The 10 million strong opt-in subscribers to the Cheapflights newsletter receive the best deals from more than 120 travel businesses – for whom it has driven more than C$80 million in revenue this year. Together, the Cheapflights platforms generate enough bookings for its partners to fill a Boeing 747 every five minutes.
In 2011, Cheapflights became part of the privately owned online travel search and inspiration network, Momondo Group.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/not-in-canada-for-the-150th-bash-let-cheapflightsca-find-a-party-near-you-300480549.html
For further information: Dalia Blumenthal, Cheapflights.ca, 416-788-4573, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.cheapflights.ca