Unearths 10 getaways for the August long weekend with flights less than $500
TORONTO, July 19, 2017 /CNW/ -- Once again, the summer is zooming by, leaving us all looking to grab as much fun and sun as we can. The upcoming August long weekend is a prime window for drinking in summer time fun with a mini vacation. To help you take a break without breaking the bank, the travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the champions of simple travel search, have done the homework for you, compiling Get out of town: 10 August long weekend trips for less than $500.
Even though this summer mini break is only a couple of weeks away, don't assume you can't score an affordable flight. It turns out, you may be able to enjoy a city break in Montreal or a beach escape in sun-baked San Diego. We found flights for less than $500 (in many cases much less) from multiple departure points across Canada for a diverse line-up of destinations.
Here are five of the most affordable escape options for the August long weekend:
- New York City, New York, U.S. – New York City is one of those destinations that you can keep going back to again and again, each time finding something new and exciting to see, do or eat. That's part of what makes the Big Apple such an ideal long weekend escape – there really is something for everyone. Since it's summertime, allot some of your time to visit sprawling Central Park for a stroll, a picnic or just to soak up some sun with a book. Otherwise, you have your pick of attractions, including the Empire State Building, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, The High Line, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Metropolitan Museum of Art and enough amazing food (be it from a food truck or five-star restaurant) to keep your taste buds happy all weekend long.
Sample airfare*: Fly round-trip from Toronto for $301.
- San Diego, California, U.S. – With well over 100 kilometres of coastline, sunny San Diego makes for an ideal summer long weekend getaway. Make time to take in the sights of the historic Gaslamp Quarter downtown, where many of the bars, shops and restaurants are set in turn-of-the-century Victorian architecture; visit one of San Diego's 30+ beaches, all open to the public; stroll the scenic, nearly five kilometre Mission Beach and Pacific Beach Boardwalk; spend one day along the waterfront at San Diego's Big Bay Embarcadero where you can check out the floating Maritime Museum of San Diego; and until September 1, visitors to San Diego can take advantage of extended evening hours at eight museums, fill up at various food trucks and enjoy entertainment throughout the Embarcadero.
Sample airfare*: Fly round-trip from Victoria for $306.
- Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. – Las Vegas might seem like a dizzying, head-spinning neon jungle when you first get to the Strip, but it's actually easier to explore over a long weekend than you might think. There's a ton of cool things to do well beyond setting up shop at a roulette table. Spend some time exploring the Strip, which makes for fun people watching, and take in some of the hotel attractions like the volcano at the Mirage, the daily circus show at Circus Circus, or the water and music show at the Bellagio's fountains. If you want to spend some time away from the hustle and bustle of the Strip, head to Lake Mead Recreation Area where you can swim, kayak, hike or have a picnic. It's also worth making time for the Mob Museum and the Neon Museum and Boneyard.
Sample airfare*: Fly round-trip from Victoria for $347.
- Calgary, Alberta – The southern Alberta city of Calgary is about so much more than the annual stampede that happens here every summer. Whether you're a foodie, history buff, shopper, outdoor enthusiast – or a combination thereof – you'll find something worthwhile in Calgary. Western Canada's largest museum and gallery, Glenbow Museum, is a good place to tack onto your long weekend itinerary, as is Fish Creek Provincial Park, one of the largest urban parks in North America and the largest such park in Canada. If you love sports, you'll also want to make time for Canada's Sports Hall of Fame and WinSport, where you can zip line, play mini golf, take a scenic chairlift ride and even race through a bobsleigh course. If you have time, pay a visit to Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, an archaeological UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the oldest, largest, and best-preserved buffalo jumps in the world.
Sample airfare*: Fly round-trip from Vancouver for $379.
- San Francisco, California, U.S. – A city of distinct and eclectic neighbourhoods, San Francisco was made for long weekend wandering. You can't visit San Francisco without making a stop at the Golden Gate Bridge so make that the first item on your itinerary. Take in the views as you walk or bike across on the pedestrian walkway. Another must-do is a ride on an iconic cable car where you'll get a great overview of San Francisco's winding streets and see some of the city's most interesting neighbourhoods. Spend the rest of the weekend exploring Fisherman's Wharf and the shops and attractions of Pier 39, checking out Chinatown and grabbing some dim sum for lunch and visiting a few of the city's museums like the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
Sample airfare*: Fly round-trip from Vancouver for $385.
With two summer long weekends still left to enjoy, now is the time to plan a midsummer escape to somewhere you've never been. Along with the destinations above, you can find deals to Winnipeg, Manitoba; Edmonton, Alberta; Montreal, Quebec; Fort Lauderdale and Miami, Florida, U.S.; and Orlando, Florida, U.S. To find out more about all the best options, head to Cheapflights.ca's "Get out of town: 10 August long weekend trips for less than $500" at www.cheapflights.ca/news/affordable-august-long-weekends-for-canadians.
*Sample airfares are priced in Canadian dollars and are all for round-trip flights with taxes and core fees included and were available on July 18 for flights departing August 3 and returning August 7. Airfares are subject to change.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Founded in 1996, Cheapflights is a leading global flight comparison and digital travel deals publishing platform dedicated to taking the complexity out of finding the best value flights through the application of innovative, intuitive technologies: Smart search. Made simple. More than 12 million people use Cheapflights' desktop, mobile and app products and almost half a million subscribe to its digital travel deals across Canada.
In 2011, Cheapflights became part of the privately owned online travel search and inspiration network, Momondo Group, which employs 350 people across offices in London, Boston and Copenhagen and sees over a million unique visits a day across its range of products and brands.
For further information: Dalia Blumenthal, Cheapflights.ca, Tel: +1 416 788 4573, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website: www.cheapflights.ca, http://www.cheapflights.ca