5th annual celebration to host 58 wineries from 9 countries
VINELAND, ON, April 29, 2015 /CNW/ - On July 17, winemakers from all corners of the globe will congregate in Niagara for the annual International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration (the i4C). This three-day festival of wine and culinary excellence has inspired an annual pilgrimage of wine-lovers, media and producers of the world's best cool climate Chardonnay to the vineyards of Niagara.
Wine Spectator contributor Matt Kramer returns to Niagara this July for the special 5th Anniversary Celebration. Kramer was the keynote speaker at the inaugural i4C weekend in 2011, and is excited at the prospect of interacting with the wines and professionals of Wine Country Ontario five years later. Kramer will join Master Sommelier John Szabo to lead The School of Cool on July 17, a series of enthralling sessions that will bring international perspectives to viticulture and winemaking in cool climate regions, with a special feature on sparkling Chardonnay.
"To return to the International Cool Climate Conference is a great privilege. Ontario wines are the epitome of cool climate, which puts them right on the cutting edge. I'm anxious to taste the latest, as quality keeps surging, seemingly with every new vintage," said Matt Kramer, Wine Writer and Columnist at Wine Spectator.
The feature event of the weekend is the Cool Chardonnay World Tour, the only event of the weekend where all 121 wines of the Celebration are available to taste and are poured by their makers. On Saturday, July 18, the culinary programme will rival the impressive lineup of wines. A culinary "dream team" of Niagara's top vineyard chefs- including Jason Parsons, Ryan Crawford, Craig Youdale, Andrew McLeod, Justin Downes and Adam Hynam-Smith - will present an al fresco family-style feast following the Grand Tasting. Wine Country Ontario has introduced an "Après Chardonnay" bar after dinner to showcase some of Ontario's other exceptional varietals and craft beer.
In 2014, a "boots and blue jeans" approach to sophisticated wines was introduced at the new Barrels & Bonfires event. Again, this year, winemakers and wine lovers will meet at 13th Street Winery on Friday, July 17 for a great night of live music, smoky BBQ and 56 different Chardonnays to taste. Bonfires scattered amongst the vines and Chardonnay marshmallows complete this idyllic summer evening event.
The weekend concludes with the perennial favourite event of i4C weekend – The Moveable Feast. The chefs at Ravine Vineyard invite their favourite artisan producers to join them amongst the vines, where we sip and bid farewell to our international winemakers.
Full weekend details and tickets are available at www.coolchardonnay.org
QUICK FACTS ABOUT THE I4C 2015:
- 2015 marks the 5th Anniversary of the International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration
- The dates for the 2015 event are July 17-19
- Matt Kramer of Wine Spectator is the 2015 Keynote Speaker. Mr. Kramer was the Keynote at the inaugural event in 2011
- The i4C is not a competition; rather it is a celebration of this exceptional varietal.
- In 2015 the i4C is featuring 121 wines from 58 wineries in 9 countries
- The 3-day Celebration is held at various winery and vineyard locations across Niagara. The 2015 Kick-off event is hosted at 13th Street Winery, and the i4C Signature Event – The Cool Chardonnay World Tour – will be held at Ridley College. A technical session "The School of Cool" will be hosted at White Oaks Conference Resort for and will be moderated by Master Sommelier John Szabo, and features Matt Kramer's keynote address.
- Approximately 2000 guests are anticipated for the 2015 event
- 35 Ontario wineries are members of the i4C Association, with four new wineries joining in 2015.
- Industry support from all key stakeholder groups in the industry: Wine Country Ontario, Grape Growers of Ontario, LCBO, CCOVI at Brock University, Niagara College, Vineland Research & Innovation Centre, Winery Grower Alliance of Ontario, Canadian Vintners Alliance and the VQA.
The International Cool Climate Chardonnay Association is a not-for-profit group of 35 inspired Ontario winemakers and winery owners, devoted to the renaissance of Chardonnay. The International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration is generously supported by founding sponsors Wine Country Ontario, the Grape Growers of Ontario, LCBO Vintages, VISA Infinite and the Province of Ontario.
SOURCE International Cool Climate Chardonnay Association
Image with caption: "58 winemakers from around the world will join thousands of wine lovers July 17-19 in Niagara at the 5th annual i4C celebration. Tickets are on sale now for over 20 events including tastings, informative sessions and incredible dining experiences among the vines. Visit coolchardonnay.org for details. (CNW Group/International Cool Climate Chardonnay Association)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150429_C6519_PHOTO_EN_15896.jpg
For further information: Media contacts: Dorian Anderson, Event Director - International Cool Climate Chardonnay Association, [email protected], 905-401-2023, Twitter @coolChardonnay, #i4C15; Magdalena Kaiser, Director of Public Relations, Wine Marketing Association of Ontario for "Wine Country Ontario", [email protected], 905-246-1922