Survey: Playoff Beards Top Canadian Superstitions During the Stanley Cup® Playoffs
MISSISSAUGA, ON, April 18, 2018 /CNW/ - Canada's love for hockey is undeniable – it runs as deep as the maple syrup in our veins – and there are many unique superstitions that help propel teams to victory throughout the Stanley Cup® Playoffs.
A recent survey† by Kellogg's Frosted Flakes*, Official Partner of the National Hockey League (NHL®) and Official Cereal of the Stanley Cup® Playoffs, reveals that Canadians are firm believers in Playoff superstitions. The most powerful is the Playoff Beard! A third of Canadian hockey fans (30%) believe the Playoff Beard can give their team the advantage and one in two millennial male hockey fans (49%) believe it can bring extra good luck to help their team win.
This Playoff season, NHL® great, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Ambassador and bearded Darcy Tucker – who knows firsthand about Playoff superstitions – encourages Canadians to get in the spirit: "The Stanley Cup® Playoffs are when Canadians from coast-to-coast unite in support of our favourite national pastime in an epic way, superstitions and all. My pal Tony the Tiger and I are thrilled to help Canadians share their love of hockey and get their beard on for a chance to go to the Stanley Cup® Final!"
Donning a Playoff Beard for the win has never been easier! Face-off at GrrreatestBeard.ca to grow a virtual Playoff Beard and enter for the chance to win one of three all-expense paid trips for four to this year's Stanley Cup® Final. It's the stubble-free solution for growing a beard and bringing superstitious support to beloved hockey heroes. Game On!
Canadian Hockey Fans Don't Want to be Caught Offside
The Frosted Flakes survey finds Canadian hockey fans believe the Playoff Beard could give their team the advantage:
- 27% of Canadian hockey fans agree, trimming a Playoff Beard is bad luck;
- This is higher among millennial males (44%);
- 45% of millennial males believe that longer Playoff Beards are luckier;
- 31% of millennial males will grow a Playoff Beard this season.
Canadian Hockey Fans Go All-In to Win
- 77% of Canadian hockey fans would wear the same socks up to 3 days if they thought it would help their team's chances;
- 55% of millennial males say wearing your team's jersey is good luck on game day;
- 35% of millennial males won't risk getting a haircut while their team is in the Playoffs;
- 28% of millennial males believe that eating a favourite cereal or snack could bring their team luck.
Whatever It Takes (But No Promises)
Canadian hockey fans shared their unique superstitions to help their team bring home the Stanley Cup®, including:
- Setting up a mini team shrine on Playoff game days;
- Sleeping at the end of your bed during the Playoffs;
- Never leaving your seat during a game;
- Tony the Tiger suggests: Enter The GR-R-Reatest Playoff Beard Contest for a chance to win one of three all-expense-paid trips for four to the Stanley Cup® Final. Until April 30th, 2018, visit GrrreatestBeard.ca, take a selfie with the beard filter and enter for a chance to win!
For more fun, check out the Anatomy of a Superstitious Canadian Hockey Fan graphic here.
† From March 12th to March 13th 2018 an online survey was conducted among 1,065 Canadian hockey fans. The margin of error—which measures sampling variability—is +/- 2.9%, 19 times out of 20.
ABOUT KELLOGG CANADA INC.
Driven to enrich and delight the world through foods and brands that matter, Kellogg Canada is the leading producer of ready-to-eat cereal in Canada. Every day, our beloved brands nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. These include All-Bran*, Kellogg's Corn Flakes*, Corn Pops*, Eggo*, Froot Loops*, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes*, Kashi*, Kellogg's Two Scoops Raisin Bran*, Mini-Wheats*, Nutri-Grain*, Pop-Tarts*, Pringles*, Rice Krispies*, Special K* and Vector*. And we're a company with a heart and soul, committing to help create 3 billion Better Days by 2025 through our Breakfasts for Better Days global purpose platform. To learn more about our responsible business leadership, foods that delight and how we strive to make a difference in our communities around the world, visit www.kelloggcompany.com. To learn more about Kellogg Canada's efforts in these areas, please visit www.kelloggs.ca.
* © 2018, Trademark of Kellogg Company used under licence by Kellogg Canada Inc.
ABOUT THE NHL®
The National Hockey League (NHL®), founded in 1917, consists of 31 Member Clubs, each reflecting the League's international makeup with players from more than 20 countries represented on team rosters, vying for the most cherished and historic trophy in professional sports – the Stanley Cup®.
NHL, the NHL Shield and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. © NHL 2018. All Rights Reserved.
SOURCE Kellogg Canada Inc.
For further information: Sybil Eastman, 647.975.7927, [email protected]