Trials of Axon Citizen now underway at a number of Canadian police agencies
ABBOTSFORD, British Columbia and SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Nov. 6, 2017 /CNW/ -- Axon Public Safety Canada Inc., a subsidiary of Axon Enterprise, Inc. (NASDAQ: AAXN), today announced that Axon Citizen is now available to police agencies in Canada. A number of Canadian agencies, including Abbotsford Police Department, BC, are conducting trials of Axon Citizen, which allows community members to submit evidence directly to police services, from their mobile devices, for specific crimes under investigation. Learn more by visiting https://ca.axon.com/citizen.
There are two ways in which officers can solicit help from the community: one-on-one between an officer and the citizen, or with a community-wide broadcast requesting information on a specific crime. The one-on-one tool, is available now for Axon customers signed up for early access. It is available to all customers on the Evidence.com Pro, Ultimate, or Unlimited licensing tiers at no incremental cost, with no additional storage fees, next month. The large-event community broadcast Citizen tool will include additional software capabilities to help triage the massive amounts of data that may be submitted and will be available for an additional enterprise license based on the size of the agency.
The citizen receives a URL via text message that they can click to upload their photos or video footage. The evidence goes straight into Evidence.com so community members do not need to hand their phones over to police. The direct upload to Evidence.com eliminates any need for officers to download, print and transfer data to a USB drive and physically place it inside an evidence locker at the agency.
"We received numerous requests from police services in Canada to help streamline the process of evidence collection from the public and local businesses," says Vishal Dhir, Axon's Managing Director, Canada and Latin America. "Axon Citizen offers a solution to this problem by allowing videos and photos to go straight from the community into the police department's Evidence.com account. I'm excited about this tool as it does exactly that — it maximizes officer efficiency, while giving the public an easy way to share information with their local police service."
Additional features and benefits of Axon Citizen include:
- Accelerates the review process: Axon Citizen's triage tool allows the reviewer to quickly decide which submissions to accept or decline.
- Streamlines searching: All submissions are automatically categorized and searchable within Evidence.com to simplify case building.
- Keeps community privacy in mind: For people who prefer to submit evidence without formal attribution, Axon Citizen allows the community member to submit without inputting any personal information.*
- Offers network reliability: Axon Citizen provides agencies the infrastructure and tools needed to support large volumes of submissions directly to the police service, so agencies can remain confident during large-scale events.
- Seamless integration with Evidence.com: Data submitted with Axon Citizen is maintained at the highest levels of security and compliance on Axon's Evidence.com solution.
Axon is showcasing Axon Citizen today through November 9 at the APCO Canada 2017 Conference & Tradeshow in Windsor, ON at booth number 301. The Axon team will also be speaking at the APCO session, "Next Generation 9-1-1 and Public Evidence Submissions of Digital Evidence: The Future is Now," on November 8 at 2:15 p.m. ET.
*Axon Citizen will do everything possible to not capture obvious attribution data without tampering with the evidence submission, or destroying the usefulness of the submitted evidence. To be clear, while Evidence.com is not capturing any personal contact information, there is still metadata embedded in the image being submitted, and the inherent contextual information in the image/video/audio itself that could be used through investigative efforts by law enforcement to identify the submitter.
The Axon network is a network of devices, apps, and people that helps law enforcement become smarter and safer. Our mission is to protect life. Our technologies give law enforcement the confidence, focus, and time they need to keep their communities safe. Our products impact every aspect of an officer's day-to-day experience:
- In the field - Our Conducted Electrical Weapons offer a less-lethal intermediate use of force response and our body-worn and in-car cameras collect video evidence to capture the truth of an incident; and our mobile applications enable simple evidence collection.
- At the station - Our secure, cloud-based digital evidence management solution allows officers and command staff to manage, review, share, and process digital evidence using forensic, redaction, transcription, and other tools.
- In the courtroom - Our solutions for prosecutors make collaborating across jurisdictions and agencies easy so that cases can be resolved quickly.
We work hard for those who put themselves in harm's way for all of us. To date, there are more than 169,000 licensed users from around the world and more than 191,000 lives and countless dollars have been saved with the Axon network of devices, apps and people. Learn more at https://ca.axon.com or by calling (800) 978-2737.
Axon, Axon Citizen, Axon Network, the "Axon Delta" logo, Evidence.com, and "Protect Life" are trademarks of Axon Enterprise, Inc., some of which are registered in the U.S. and other countries. For more information, visit https://ca.axon.com/legal. All rights reserved.
Follow the Axon brand here:
- Axon on Twitter: https://twitter.com/axon_canada
- Axon on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Axon.ProtectLife/
Note to Investors
Please visit http://investor.axon.com, http://axon.com/news, www.twitter.com/axon_us and https://www.facebook.com/Axon.ProtectLife/ where Axon shares about the company, its financial information, and its business.
Visit our Investor Relations Safe Harbor Statement at: http://investor.axon.com/safeHarbor.cfm
For investor relations information please contact Andrea James via email at [email protected].
VP Global Communications
Media ONLY Hotline: (480) 444-4000
Managing Director, Canada & Latin America
Axon Public Safety Canada Inc.