Includes Containerized Email and FIPS 140-2 Validation
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Nov. 6, 2013 /CNW/ - MobileIron, the leader in enterprise mobility management (EMM), today announced new capabilities to accelerate the adoption of Android in the enterprise.
For more information:
- Attend the webinar on November 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM PST.
Android has the largest market share for smartphone operating systems among consumers, but enterprise adoption has lagged because the fragmentation of devices and operating system versions has created too much complexity for IT. As a result, while most global companies have piloted Android, they have not fully embraced it.
However, in the last six months, two major events have established the urgency of Android support:
- BlackBerry decline: As a result of September 2013 recommendations from a leading analyst firm, many Global 2000 companies are now considering a rapid and complete migration off BlackBerry.
- Employee demand: According to IDC analysis, Android passed 75% market share of smartphone shipments in the second quarter of 2013, making it the dominant smartphone operating system globally and the preferred choice of many employees in BYOD programs.
Enterprises cannot leave BlackBerry for Android without a complete and consistent approach to security. Last year, MobileIron introduced AppConnect, which containerized business apps across Android devices and operating system versions to address fragmentation. The Q4 2013 release of MobileIron for Android completes the solution by delivering the productivity apps employees need and the final elements of data protection IT requires. The result is that Android is now an acceptable solution for enterprises that have traditionally used BlackBerry.
Employees demand apps to help them get their work done. The three essential apps for mobile productivity are email, content management, and browsing. MobileIron has established a broad ecosystem of best-of-breed business apps secured with MobileIron AppConnect containerization. With the Q4 2013 release of MobileIron for Android, IT can now offer employees:
Secure email and PIM
- MobileIron is launching a complete email and PIM (Personal Information Management) solution through a special partnership with Divide. The new Divide PIM solution provides the best native email, contacts, calendar and tasks experience across Android devices and OS versions. All content is encrypted and stored in a secure container on the mobile device. All configuration and data loss prevention (DLP) policies are set through MobileIron. In addition, MobileIron provides email attachment protection, secure browsing for embedded URLs, identity and access management (IAM) for client and server access, and secure tunneling for ActiveSync traffic.
- For enterprises using IBM Notes, IBM Notes Traveler is now available with AppConnect integration. This means, for the first time, an IBM Notes Traveler client for Android can be containerized and secured by an EMM platform.
- For enterprises now using Samsung KNOX, MobileIron provisions and configures enterprise email, including the setting and enforcement of security controls over user-created personal accounts, email forwarding, and HTML email.
Secure content and collaboration
- The most popular and advanced content and collaboration apps for business users are now available in the MobileIron AppConnect ecosystem. This quarter, Accellion, Acronis mobilEcho, Novell, and many others are launching new versions of their AppConnect-enabled solutions.
- MobileIron's secure browsing solution, Web@Work, now offers browser-specific tunneling to access corporate web resources without the need for device-wide VPN.
IT demands protection for company data. The MobileIron for Android solution already provides a broad set of capabilities for data loss prevention (DLP), network access control (NAC), and identity and access management (IAM). The Q4 2013 launch of MobileIron for Android adds:
- FIPS 140-2 defines the appropriate cryptographic standards to protect data at rest and data in motion in public sector and regulated environments. MobileIron's use of FIPS 140-2 cryptographic libraries for Android has now been validated by an accredited Cryptographic and Security (CST) laboratory in full compliance with the Cryptographic Module Validation Program (CMVP).
- MobileIron is one of the initial commercial licensees of the Samsung KNOX platform, and now offers production support for KNOX containerization. High security organizations will find KNOX an attractive destination for their enterprise mobility needs.
Secure Single Sign On
- MobileIron now offers secure single sign on (SSO) support for both web and native applications on Android. The app or browser presents an identity certificate to the MobileIron Sentry intelligent access gateway. Sentry uses Kerberos Constrained Delegation (KCD) to get a Kerberos ticket that allows a secure connection to be established to the enterprise so that the app or browser can access enterprise resources without the employee needing to sign in each time.
"More than half of our top customers are using Android in production environments and they want to grow those deployments substantially," said Ojas Rege, VP Strategy, MobileIron. "Android has moved from being a feature on a checklist for the future to being a core requirement for today. With this release of MobileIron for Android, IT teams can finally make Android a full citizen in the enterprise."
The leader in enterprise mobility management (EMM), MobileIron's mission is to enable organizations around the world to embrace mobility as their primary IT platform in order to transform their businesses and increase their competitiveness. Leading global companies rely on MobileIron's scalable architecture, rapid innovation, and best practices as the foundation for their Mobile First initiatives, including 8 of the top 10 automotive manufacturers, 7 of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies, 5 of the top 10 banks, 5 of the top 10 law firms, and 4 of the top 10 retailers. For more information, please visit www.mobileiron.com.
For further information:
Clarissa Horowitz, MobileIron, email@example.com, 415-608-6825
PRN Photo Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org