Ontario Safety League Teams Up with Green Arc Tire to Help Reduce Collisions This Winter
TORONTO, Nov. 13, 2013 /CNW/ - With the support of Ontario's Environment Minister, the Mayor of St. Marys, and the Ontario Safety League, Green Arc Tire Manufacturing Inc., today announced that it is opening North America's largest tire remanufacturing plant in St. Mary's, Ontario, creating 340 new jobs, and making tires that are greener, more affordable and safer for winter driving conditions than regular tires.
"We're proud to be offering Canadians winter tires, that are not only green, but have better traction, and improve fuel efficiency, at 30 to 50 percent less cost than regular tires," said Mike DiCenzo, COO of Green Arc Tire Manufacturing Inc. "Our goal is to help make the winter driving season safer, by making winter tires that are affordable for more drivers."
Green Arc Tire Manufacturing is remoulding radial tires, and plans to produce as many as 3 million "green" passenger, SUV and light truck tires a year, at its new, modern $37 million facility.
"We couldn't be more pleased to support Green Arc Tire Manufacturing in this important safety initiative, said Brian Patterson, President of the Ontario Safety League. "Drivers now have every reason to equip their vehicles with winter tires. It's the single most important step they can take in improving safety on our roads this winter."
Green Arc Tire Manufacturing is taking used tires and remoulding them, in a process that reuses almost all of the original components. Its remoulded tires will have one of the highest post consumer contents of any recycled product, reducing old tire stockpiles.
"Congratulations to Green Arc for investing in Ontario's growing recycling industry, putting hundreds of people to work, and producing hundreds of thousands of remoulded tires a year," said Ontario Environment Minister Jim Bradley.
Of the 340 jobs created at Green Arc Tire Manufacturing, 40 positions will be reserved for veterans and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces.
"On behalf of Council, I couldn't be more pleased to be welcoming Green Arc Tire Manufacturing to our town," said Steve Grose, Mayor of St. Marys. "We're excited to be supporting a company that's creating new jobs and contributing in such a major way to our community."
Green Arc Tire Manufacturing is set to open its St. Mary's facility in February.
About Green Arc Tire Manufacturing
- The remoulding process uses significantly less energy, and less oil than regular tires, to produce a tire with equal performance and life of regular tires, at 30 to 50 percent less cost;
- Remoulded tires are used by consumers, airlines, school buses, military vehicles, and trucking companies.
Winter Driving Facts
- Each year, thousands of Ontarians are involved in preventable winter weather related crashes;
- According to the Traffic Injury Research Foundation, winter tires reduce the likelihood of a costly collision;
- TIRF estimates that weather related collisions in Canada cost over $1 billion a year;
- Studies show approximately 39 percent of Ontarians use winter tires.
SOURCE: Green Arc Tire Manufacturing
For further information:
Danna O'Brien, [email protected] 416-500-0699
Mike DiCenzo, COO Green Arc Tire Manufacturing Inc. 289-239-8372