Edmonton Global receives federal funding to establish its International Investment and Trade Program to increase foreign direct investment in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
EDMONTON, Feb. 12, 2019 /CNW/ - Edmonton Global will launch its International Investment and Trade Program with the help of a $2.3 million investment through Western Economic Diversification Canada.
The funding was announced today by Randy Boissonnault, Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre and Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on LGBTQ2 Issues, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada.
The Investment and Trade Program will boost the Edmonton Metropolitan Region's business growth and competitiveness by identifying global opportunities, attracting foreign direct investment, supporting high growth small- and medium-sized enterprises and increasing market awareness of western Canadian products and services.
By investing in initiatives like the International Investment and Trade Program, the Government of Canada is leveraging regional strengths and positioning Canada as a global centre of excellence.
- The three-year initiative is expected to result in significant foreign direct investment growth for the region, to assist small- and medium-sized enterprises, and to spark broad participation of companies and organizations in investment missions, events, and marketing initiatives.
- Edmonton Global is a new regional economic development organization that has unified all 15 regional municipalities to undertake the mission of strengthening global competitiveness, growth, and innovation in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
- The Edmonton Metropolitan Region, which accounted for 30% of Alberta's GDP in 2016, is the second fastest growing region in Canada.
"By seizing global opportunities, we are boosting our economic growth and creating well-paying jobs. This is why the funding announced today is vital. The new International Investment and Trade Program will put the Edmonton Metropolitan Region on the map as a primary destination for investment."
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada
"The Government of Canada is committed to enhancing the Edmonton Metropolitan Region's vitality and economic prosperity. As one of the fastest growing and youngest populations, this region has immense potential to boost Canada's competitiveness. Our Government is dedicated to supporting initiatives such as this one, which capitalizes on regional strengths and opportunities."
- Randy Boissonnault, Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre and Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on LGBTQ2 Issues
"This funding from the Government of Canada into the International Investment and Trade Program, will enable Edmonton Global to aggressively position our value proposition and drive investment across the Edmonton Metro Region. The funding announced today will have immediate and tangible impact on the economies of all 15 municipalities who are shareholders of Edmonton Global."
- Malcolm Bruce, CEO, Edmonton Global
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
TTY (telecommunications device for the hearing impaired): 1-877-303-3388
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.
SOURCE Western Economic Diversification Canada
For further information: Narmin Hassam-Clark, A/Manager, Consultation, Marketing and Communications, Western Economic Diversification Canada - Alberta Region, 780-399-1058, [email protected]; Chris McLeod, MBA, Director, Marketing and Communications, Edmonton Global, 780-499-4517, [email protected]