OTTAWA, May 31, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Starting on June 4, the new area code 548 will be introduced in the region currently served by area codes 226 and 519 in southwestern Ontario. The region includes the communities of Brantford, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, London, Owen Sound, Sarnia, Stratford, Windsor and Woodstock. The growing use of communications services has led to a huge increase in the requirement for telephone numbers in this region.
The introduction of a third area code will provide millions of additional telephone numbers with no impact on existing numbers. The new 548 area code will coexist with the current area codes and will be introduced as new telephone numbers are issued.
"The new area code will be introduced gradually across southwestern Ontario once there is no longer a sufficient supply of numbers with the existing area codes – 226 and 519. Telephone numbers will not change but subscribers may be offered a phone number with the 548 area code when they contact their provider for new or additional services," said Glen Brown, spokesperson for the Canadian Numbering Administrator.
- Existing numbers keep the same area code and are not changed in any way
- Local calling areas remain the same
- The 9-1-1 emergency number remains a three-digit number
- For your local calls, you will always enter 10 digits (area code + local number)
- Business customers using communications systems that restrict long distance calling will need to add 548 as a local area code.
The Telecommunications Alliance
The Telecommunications Alliance was formed to create awareness about the introduction of new area codes. For more information about new area codes in Canada, please visit the website at: www.newareacodes.ca
SOURCE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ALLIANCE
For further information: Carolane Delage, [email protected], T 514-282-4678