OTTAWA, Dec. 19, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today announced that Robert Malo will join the Veterans Review and Appeal Board, which provides Veterans, Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) members, and their families, with an independent avenue of appeal for disability benefit decisions made by Veterans Affairs Canada.
Mr. Malo, of Joliette, Quebec, is a bilingual lawyer with extensive experience as a decision maker in an administrative tribunal setting. He has served on the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal since 2012 and previously on the Veterans Review and Appeal Board from 2003 to 2009. Over his 35-year legal career, Mr. Malo has practiced civil, criminal, family and administrative law and has worked as a mediator in family, civil, commercial and labour matters.
- Mr. Malo is appointed for a three-year term.
- Appointments to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board are made by the Governor in Council through the Board's merit-based selection process.
- The Veterans Review and Appeal Board is an independent body created in 1995 that conducts hearings across Canada to provide Veterans with the opportunity to bring forward new evidence, give oral testimony, and have supporting arguments presented on their behalf.
- The merit-based selection process for new Board members prefers candidates with military, medical, policing or legal backgrounds in recognition of the people served by the appeal process and the nature of the work.
- The last 13 members appointed to the Board have military, medical, policing or legal backgrounds. More than three-quarters of the Board's current members have these backgrounds (20 of 25).
"I am pleased to announce the appointment of Robert Malo to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board. His extensive experience as a lawyer and tribunal decision maker will greatly benefit the Board as it continues to provide a fair and independent appeal process for Veterans and their families."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs
SOURCE: Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Barbara Mottram, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649; Media Relations, Veterans Review and Appeal Board, 902-566-8575