New Three-Part Survey Measures What the World Thinks of Canada and Canadians
TORONTO, June 25 /CNW/ - This weekend, Canada hosts the world's leaders at the G8 and G20 Summits. A recent survey commissioned by The Historica-Dominion Institute takes the pulse of the global community's perceptions of Canada and Canadians. The global survey, conducted by Ipsos-Reid presented questions to over 18,000 citizens in 24 countries.
Some highlights include:
Part I: International Affairs, the Economy and Business
- 62% of global citizens say that Canada is a world economic power. The
Russians (79%), Brazilians (78%) and Chinese (78%) are most likely to
agree, while the Swedes (33%), Japanese (40%), Germans (41%), and the
British (43%) are much less likely.
- Two in three global citizens (67%) to say that Canada is a leader in
working for peace and human rights around the world. South Africans
(80%) are most likely to agree, while those living n Sweden (37%) and
Germany (45%) are least likely to believe that Canada is a leader in
Part II: Immigration, Diversity and Multiculturalism
- A majority (53%) of people, including 77% of respondents from China
and 68% of respondents from India, say they'd live in Canada if they
had an opportunity to move. Interestingly, almost one-third (30%) of
Americans would choose Canada.
- Eight in ten (79%) respondents think that Canadians enjoy one of the
best qualities of life anywhere in the world.
- Most respondents (72%) believe that Canada is welcoming to
immigrants, including 86% in China and 84% in India.
Part III: The Environment, Tourism and "The Canadian Character"
- Asked if Canada is environmentally responsible in relation to other
industrialized countries, eight in ten (81%) global respondents
- Nine in ten (90%) global respondents agree that Canada has some of
the most beautiful scenery in the world and 88% say they would like
to visit Canada.
- Eight in ten (80%) global respondents say that Canadians are someone
they would welcome into their home for a meal.
- Seven in ten (71%) global respondents think people who live in Canada
are "cool", including 92% of respondents in France.
- About half (53%) of the world's citizens describe Canadians as
"sexy". Interestingly, the sex appeal of Canadians is highest in
India (71%) and Saudi Arabia (70%).
The survey is a project of The Historica-Dominion Institute in partnership with the Munk School of Global Affairs with the support of the Aurea Foundation. The Historica-Dominion Institute is the largest charitable organization dedicated to Canadian history, identity and citizenship. Visit www.historica-dominion.ca.
For complete survey results, visit www.historica-dominion.ca/en/polling
SOURCE Historica Canada
For further information: For further information: or to schedule an interview, please contact: Chantal Gagnon, Media Relations, 416.575.3627, email@example.com