CALGARY, Dec. 14, 2017 /CNW/ - The National Energy Board (NEB) is recommending that NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd. (NGTL) be granted a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity to continue operating the 179-kilometre long Albersun Pipeline in Northeastern Alberta. The NEB also approved NGTL's purchase of the pipeline. NGTL applied to the NEB in 2016 for leave to purchase the line from Suncor Energy Logistics Corporation (Suncor) and continue its operation.
The facilities to be purchased include:
- Suncor Albersun Pipeline – 141 km of 273 mm (NPS 10) pipeline;
- Suncor Mildred Lake Lateral – 5.8 km of 219 mm (NPS 8) pipeline;
- Suncor Gregoire Lateral – 23.4 km of 168 mm and 8.7 km of 89 mm (NPS 3) pipeline;
- Mildred Lake East Sales Meter Station; and,
- Associated pipe and valve facilities.
Should Governor-in-Council approve the project, NGTL will physically isolate the Albersun Pipeline from the Canadian Natural Resources Limited owned pipeline immediately south of NGTL's Crow Lake Sales Lateral tie-in. NGTL has no plans for further construction activities associated with the pipeline.
The NEB reviewed this project primarily through a written hearing process, which included written information requests, evidence and final argument. The NEB recognizes that Aboriginal peoples have an oral tradition for sharing information and knowledge. With this in mind, the NEB heard Oral Traditional Evidence from Bigstone Cree Nation in Wabasca, Alberta on June 14, 2017.
- The NEB received three applications to participate in the hearing as an Intervenor, including one late application. All applications were accepted along with one application for Commenter status.
- The NEB made up to $80,000 in funding available to support meaningful participation by Intervenors in the hearing process.
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry. It regulates pipelines, energy development and trade in the public interest with safety as its primary concern. For more information on the NEB and its mandate, please visit www.neb-one.gc.ca
SOURCE National Energy Board
For further information: Sarah Kiley, Communications Officer, National Energy Board, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 403-614-6526, Telephone (toll-free) 1-800-899-1265