CALGARY, Nov. 17, 2014 /CNW/ - The National Energy Board (NEB or the Board) will hold a written public hearing to consider an application from TransCanada Pipelines Limited (TCPL) to construct and operate approximately 11 km of new pipeline and associated facilities (the Project). The Project location crosses the three of municipalities Vaughan, Toronto, and Brampton, as well as the Regional Municipalities of York and Peel.
The Board has identified and will consider the following issues in this hearing:
- The need for the proposed Project.
- The economic feasibility of the proposed Project.
- The potential commercial impacts of the proposed Project.
- The potential environmental and socio-economic effects of the proposed project, including any cumulative environmental effects that are likely to result from the project, including those required to be considered by the NEB's Filing Manual.
- The appropriateness of the route and land requirements for the proposed Project.
- The engineering design and integrity of the proposed Project.
- Potential impacts of the proposed Project on Aboriginal interests.
- Potential impacts of the proposed Project on landowners and land use.
- Contingency planning for spills, accidents or malfunctions, during construction and operation of the Project.
- The terms and conditions to be included in any approval or recommendation.
The Board must hear from anyone who, in the Board's opinion, is directly affected by the proposed Project, and may choose to hear from anyone who has relevant information or expertise.
To participate in this hearing, please visit the NEB website at www.neb-one.gc.ca, click on Submit Applications and Regulatory Documents and select Apply to Participate. When completing your Application to Participate, you must show that your interest in this Project, or the information or expertise you wish to contribute, is relevant to one or more of the Issues identified in the List of Issues in the Hearing Order.
The deadline for filing an Application to Participate is noon (Calgary time) on 11 December 2014.
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry with the safety of Canadians and protection of the environment as its top priority. Its purpose is to regulate pipelines, energy development and trade in the Canadian public interest.
Please visit the NEB website for general information about the hearing process and how you can participate effectively. To access the information, go to www.neb-one.gc.ca, select Hearing and Information Sessions, and then click on Participate in a Public Hearing.
This news release and the Hearing Order are also available on the Board's website under What's New!
SOURCE: National Energy Board
For further information: Stacey Squires ([email protected]), Communications Officer, E-mail: [email protected], Telephone: 403-299-2717, Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265, Facsimile: 403-292-5503, Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803, TTY (teletype): 1-800-632-1663; For a copy of the Hearing Order: National Energy Board Library, 517 Tenth Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2R 0A8, Telephone: 403-299-3561, Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265, Facsimile: 403-292-5576, Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803, Email: [email protected]