TORONTO, Sept. 27, 2012 /CNW/ -The National Newspaper Awards will now accept entries from news organizations that operate online only.
Examples of such organizations include: Tyee, Huffington Post, and Yahoo.
Such organizations will be required to submit information to the NNA Board of Governors who will determine if the organizations meet the standards of daily journalism as practiced by legacy newspapers and their online operations for the past 64 years. The NNAs are the oldest continuing journalism awards program in Canada.
"The time is upon us to recognize great journalism being practiced online by those companies that have embraced online journalism and information," said Scott White, chair of the NNA Board of Governors, following its fall meeting on Sept. 17. "We are proud to be among the first mainstream newspaper awards programs to reach out to non-traditional news companies."
Among the criteria that will result in entry in the NNAs:
- Organization must have all the characteristics of a daily newspaper: produced in Canada and intended for the public.
- It is similar in nature to the published daily newspapers that are subject to the rules and guidelines of entry in the NNAs.
- It is not intended to be in itself a promotion or marketing effort of any company, political party, government institution, cause or person
- Its journalism is not supported by outside funding.
- It is a daily publication in that it produces news and original journalism on a regular and not on an occasional basis.
- Its contents must not be submitted to any awards program in the community newspaper, magazine or broadcasting industry sectors.
- Entries will not be accepted in the Presentation category and the Local Reporting category will accept entries only from a website designed specifically to serve a geographic place or area within Canada.
Deadline for applying to enter in the National Newspaper Awards program will be December 1, 2012. The actual entry deadline will be January 10, 2013.
SOURCE: National Newspaper Awards
For further information: