TORONTO, Aug. 29, 2012 /CNW/ - The National Magazine Awards Foundation (NMAF) is excited to announce the publication of our 35th anniversary eBook—Best in Magazines 2007-2012—now available for free download at the Apple iTunes store. Visit magazine-awards.com/eBook for more information.
To celebrate thirty-five years of honouring excellence in the content and creation of Canadian magazines, the NMAF has put together this special collection of more than 30 award-winning stories, photography layouts and illustrations, featuring some of the top winners from this year's National Magazine Awards as well as the best of the best from the past five years.
Our new eBook is filled with great stories from many of Canada's most popular magazines, including The Walrus, Explore, Report on Business, Toronto Life, Maisonneuve, Chatelaine, Swerve, Cottage Life, Outdoor Canada, Alberta Views, Maclean's, The Grid, Eighteen Bridges, Sportsnet and more.
Best in Magazines 2007-2012 features some of the best work honoured at this year's National Magazine Awards, including:
"All In" by Don Gillmor, from Eighteen Bridges:
- Ten-time National Magazine Award-winning writer Don Gillmor penned a moving personal essay about the late Canadian literary icon, filmmaker and musician Paul Quarrington, which appeared in the inaugural issue of Eighteen Bridges, a new magazine of creative journalism launched last year. An absolute must-read!
"Where Asbestos is Just a Fact of Life" by John Gray and Stephanie Nolen, from Report on Business:
- Perhaps the most decorated individual article in the Awards' history, with a Gold, a Silver and 3 Honourable Mention awards at this year's NMAs, this unparalleled investigative story follows the trail of Canada's asbestos industry from Quebec to India; definitely one of the most enlightening Canadian media stories of the year.
"A Reading from the Book of Tebow" by Scott Feschuk, in Sportsnet:
- The Gold winner in Humour at this year's NMAs, from the pages of one of Canada's newest magazines, is a satirical send-up of the biggest sports story of 2011, authored by renowned Canadian humourist Scott Feschuk. Don't bother trying to stifle your laughter!
"Got Spunk?" from The Grid, Art Direction by Vanessa Wyse:
- A triple Gold winner at this year's gala for Magazine Covers, Art Direction for a Single Article and Art Direction for an Entire Issue, the design of this issue from The Grid impressed NMA judges like few others in the Awards' history. Vanessa Wyse's spectacular conceptualization frames a wonderful investigative story on Canadian sperm banks by Danielle Groen, with photographs by Matthew Barnes.
Best in Magazines also features award-winning Canadian magazine stories and images from the past 5 years, including:
- "Best of the Best" - stories that won multiple awards, featuring work from Swerve, The Walrus, Toronto Life and Ryerson Review of Journalism;
- "Page One" - Gold-winning magazine covers from Feathertale Review, Report on Business, Toronto Life and Maisonneuve;
- "Memorable Stories" - Unforgettable stories that captivate and inspire, featuring work from Outdoor Canada, The New Quarterly, Chatelaine and AlbertaViews;
- "Beyond the Lens" - Stunning award-winning photography from Flare, Maisonneuve, Canadian Home & Country and Report on Business;
- "Great Service" - Celebrated service journalism from Swerve, Cottage Life and L'actualité;
- "Illustrious Design" - The best in magazine illustration from enRoute, Vancouver Review, This Magazine and The Walrus;
- "Punchy Lines" - Gold-winning Humour articles from Maisonneuve, The Walrus and Maclean's;
- "Hot New Talent" - Winners of the award for Best New Magazine Writer, featuring work from The Walrus, Chatelaine and Unlimited.
Plus, original interviews with National Magazine Award-winning writers and articles from the NMAF's exclusive "Off the Page" interview series. And, the spectacular Smash Reel video from this year's NMA Gala.
How to get Best in Magazines 2007-2012
Best in Magazines is available exclusively for your iPad from the Apple iTunes store—FREE! Visit the below link to access Best in Magazines 2007-2012 from iTunes:
Or search "Best in Magazines 2007-2012" from your iPad App Store.
Visit www.magazine-awards.com/eBook for more information.
Writers and Artists featured in Best in Magazines 2007-2012
The National Magazine Awards Foundation acknowledges the financial support of the Government of Canada through the Canada Periodical Fund of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL MAGAZINE AWARDS FOUNDATION
The National Magazine Awards Foundation is a bilingual, not-for-profit institution whose mission is to recognize and promote excellence in the content and creation of Canadian print and digital publications through an annual program of awards and national publicity efforts. Visit www.magazine-awards.com for more information.
SOURCE: National Magazine Awards Foundation
For further information:
For more information about the National Magazine Awards, please contact:
Media Liaison & Special Projects Manager,
National Magazine Awards Foundation