CALGARY, Dec. 15, 2017 /CNW/ - The National Energy Board (NEB) oral hearings on an application from NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd. (NGTL) to build a natural gas pipeline east of the Town of Sundre will begin on December 18. The hearing will start at 9 a.m. in the NEB's hearing room in Calgary and is expected to run for two days. The public is welcome to attend.
NGTL applied to the NEB on March 24 for permission to build and operate the 21-kilometre long Sundre Crossover Project. If approved, the project would deliver sweet natural gas from the Edson Mainline and Edson Mainline Loop downstream to connections on the existing NGTL system. The estimated capital cost of the project is approximately $99 million.
NGTL applied to the NEB under section 58 of the National Energy Board Act. In general, these types of applications do not require a public hearing. However, given the elevated level of public interest in this project, the NEB has decided to hold a hearing in order to consider the input of those who could be directly affected or who have expertise to share.
Those unable to attend the hearing in person can access both a live audio feed and a daily transcript at www.neb-one.gc.ca/sundrecrossover
- The NEB received 10 applications to participate and granted Intervenor status to the five groups and individuals who requested it. Five applicants were granted Commenter status.
- The NEB has made up to $120,000 in funding available to support meaningful participation by Intervenors in the hearing process.
- As this project falls under section 58 of the National Energy Board Act, the NEB is the final decision maker.
- Sundre Crossover Project web page
- NEB Procedural Update No. 2 [A88563]
- NEB Procedural Update No. 3 [A88610]
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry. It regulates pipelines, energy development and trade in the public interest with safety as its primary concern. For more information on the NEB and its mandate, please visit www.neb-one.gc.ca
SOURCE National Energy Board
For further information: Sarah Kiley, Communications Officer, National Energy Board, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 403-614-6526, Telephone (toll-free) 1-800-899-1265