OTTAWA, June 14, 2019 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada continues to bargain in good faith with employee representatives and has reached new tentative collective agreements with groups represented by the Canadian Association of Professional Employees, the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, and the Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers. A total of 18 tentative agreements have now been reached and, if ratified, will apply to over 60,000 federal public service employees.
The latest agreements include similar provisions to agreements reached at the end of May, including economic increases over 4 years at 2% for each of the first 2 years, and 1.5% for each of the remaining 2 years. These tentative agreements also include new measures to make them easier to implement and to compensate employees who do not receive retroactive payments or salary increases within agreed-upon timelines.
Tentative provisions also include new caregiver leave and an extended period for parental leave to better align with Employment Insurance benefits and acknowledge today's demands on workers.
The Government of Canada remains committed to reaching agreements that are reasonable for taxpayers and offer employees fair wage adjustments and provisions reflective of today's work environment.
"We have made significant progress in our recent negotiations, leading to tentative agreements for over 60,000 employees. Through good faith negotiations and the hard work of the negotiation teams at the table, we have been able to secure fair and reasonable collective agreements for employees and Canadians."
- The Honourable Joyce Murray, President of the Treasury Board and Minister of Digital Government
- To date, 18 tentative agreements have been reached with bargaining agents; 10 of those agreements cover groups of employees in the core public administration for which Treasury Board is the employer.
- The Canadian Association of Professional Employees has reached tentative agreements for the Economics and Social Science Services (EC) and Translation (TR) groups.
- The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada has reached tentative agreements for the following groups: Research (RE), Health Services (SH), Architecture, Engineering and Land Survey (NR), Applied Science and Patent Examination (SP), Audit, Commerce and Purchasing (AV).
- The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers has reached a tentative agreement for the Foreign Service (FS) group.
- The Association of Canadian Financial Officers has reached a tentative agreement for the Financial Management (FI) group.
- The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers has reached a tentative agreement for the Electronics (EL) group.
- Tentative agreements covering employees in separate agencies have also been reached. To date, three tentative agreements have been reached with the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada and five tentative agreements have been reached with the Research Council Employees' Association.
SOURCE Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
For further information: (media) : Farees Nathoo, Media Relations, Office of the President of the Treasury Board and Minister of Digital Government, 613-369-3170; Media Relations, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, Telephone: 613-369-9400, Toll-free: 1-855-TBS-9-SCT (1-855-827-9728), TTY (telecommunications device for the hearing impaired): 613-369-9371, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org