New StackAdapt survey indicates the future of e-commerce rests in mobile
TORONTO, Aug. 9, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, StackAdapt released its 2017 Omni Survey. Using Leger's online panel, survey results uncover current digital spending habits, the rise of m-commerce and key insights into the average consumer experience while buying on his or her smartphone.
- 53% of consumers use their smartphones to make online purchases at least once. 11% of consumers make more than half of their online purchases using mobile. The majority of this group are university educated, Generation X and Millennials (between 18-44) with high annual earnings (<$80K CDN).
- 47% of consumers make no purchases using their mobile device.
- 4 out of 10 consumers use mobile to purchase for entertainment (43%), digital products (41%) and consumer goods (39%).
- Female consumers in households with children under the age of 18 are more likely to make online purchases on their mobile device than men.
- Younger consumers who use their mobile device to make online purchases are most likely to buy entertainment, digital products, clothes, services, and financial products.
- More than 82% of consumers using mobile to make online purchases say at least one thing prevents them from making an actual purchase. The most common reason (54%) is due to the small screen. Poor landing page experience trails in second place (33%).
- While 35% of consumers browse the web on their mobile in incognito mode, 34% of consumers say that they never browse in incognito.
- More than 38% say that they always/most of the time discover a product on mobile but make the actual purchase on a bigger device (desktop/tablet/laptop).
- 43% of consumers using mobile for making online purchases delete cookies once a month.
"Mobile presents a tremendous opportunity for brands. Currently, m-commerce represents around 1% of all retail sales and I now understand why. Brands are using old-school technology that relies solely on cookies - primarily a desktop solution, to track visitors or sales. The reality is that consumers today bounce from one device to another and brands will not uncover a customer's purchase journey using the old system. As a result, they have developed a blind-spot for customers accessing their sites through mobile," says StackAdapt COO, Vitaly Pecherskiy.
"Unfortunately, a large number of marketers still don't see how under-developed their current systems are when uncovering a customer's journey on mobile, and subsequently aren't investing in mobile solutions. The longer they put off building a proper cross-device attribution model, the more challenges they will have when attempting to make sense of which channels are driving positive ROI for them." Pecherskiy continues.
Key insights from StackAdapt:
- Certain industries, such as entertainment, perform better on mobile because of their "one-size fits all" nature. For industries such as financial services and e-commerce where consumers face a plethora of choices, brands must focus on offering tailored options to the right audience.
- Cookie based targeting is inefficient. It is device-focused, rather than people focused.
- User-experience is integral to mobile commerce.
- Brands ought to realize the potential of connected devices and data.
The survey includes response data from a national online panel of more than 1,542 Canadians between July 10-13, 2017, from LegerWeb.
StackAdapt is an omnichannel advertising platform that helps brands accelerate customer acquisition by reaching relevant audiences through native, display, and video advertising. This state-of-the-art platform is where some of the most progressive work in machine learning meets cutting-edge user experience.
For further information: StackAdapt Media Office: Cherry Ye, PR & Communications Manager, Email: [email protected], Cell: 416- 427-4341