OTTAWA, March 27, 2015 /CNW/ - The Honourable Greg Rickford, Canada's Natural Resources Minister and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario, today announced the appointment of Ellen McGregor as Director for Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) for a term of five years.
Ms. McGregor is a seasoned leader in the fields of sustainable science, technology innovation and integration, and clean technology. She is the current CEO of Fielding Chemical Technologies Inc., an award-winning Canadian clean tech company specializing in producing high-quality recycled chemicals.
Recognized for her accomplishments in business, Ms. McGregor was named the 2010 Business Person of the Year by the Mississauga Board of Trade. Her community commitments include serving as Director of the Ontario Environmental Industries Association, Director of GreenCentre Canada and Chair of the Mississauga Board of Trade, as well as sitting on the City of Mississauga's Environmental and Economic Development Committees.
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada is an arm's-length foundation created by the Government of Canada to support projects that develop and demonstrate new technologies to promote sustainable development.
- In 2013, the Government of Canada announced $325 million over eight years in support to SDTC for development and demonstration projects resulting in a cleaner environment.
- SDTC's SD Tech Fund™ has supported 269 projects with $684 million from federal government funding.
- 57 of the more mature companies supported by SDTC have received $2.5 billion in follow-on financing as of December 2013, meaning that for every dollar invested by Canada in these companies, the marketplace has responded with $14 of private capital.
- The SD Tech Fund™ supports projects that address climate change, air quality, clean water and clean soil, providing solutions to key Canadian industries that increase efficiency and enhance environmental responsibility.
"I am pleased to announce the appointment of Ms. McGregor as Director of Sustainable Development Technology Canada. Her experience in sustainable science, technology innovation and integration, and clean technology will be an asset as the organization continues to promote the development and demonstration of innovative environmental technology solutions."
Canada's Natural Resources Minister and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario
Follow us on Twitter: @NRCan (http://twitter.com/nrcan)
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media
SOURCE Natural Resources Canada
For further information: Media may contact: Alexandra Lemieux, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Natural Resources, Ottawa , 613-996-2007; Media Relations, Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa, 613-992-4447; The general public may contact: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EDT, Telephone: 613-995-0947, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org