BARRIE, ON, July 24, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, along with Patrick Brown, Member of Parliament for Barrie, today announced Government of Canada support to the Rotary Club of Barrie for a new monument to commemorate Canadian recipients of the Victoria Cross.
The monument will be a prominent feature of Military Heritage Park, currently under construction in Barrie, and will display the names of 98 Canadians who have been awarded the Victoria Cross.
The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring Canada's veterans are recognized for their service to their country, and that they receive the benefits and respect they deserve when their time in uniform is complete.
- The Victoria Cross is the highest military honour for bravery.
- The Rotary Club of Barrie will receive up to $4,240 through the Community War Memorial Program (CWMP) at Veterans Affairs Canada for the construction of a new monument.
- Across the country, there are more than 6,000 local cenotaphs and monuments dedicated to Canada's war dead and Veterans. #ShowYouRemember
- Applications for funding can be made to Veterans Affairs Canada's Commemorative Partnership Program—which is comprised of the Community Engagement Partnership Fund (CEPF) and the Cenotaph/Monument Restoration Program (CMRP).
- For more information on Veterans Affairs Canada's commemorative activities and programs, please visit veterans.gc.ca.
"Our Government is proud to partner with the Rotary Club of Barrie to erect a lasting memorial to honour those Canadians whose brave and courageous acts have earned them the Victoria Cross - our highest military honour. Their bravery and valour deserve our enduring recognition."
The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs
"Military Heritage Park is a fitting place for a memorial to Canadian recipients of the Victoria Cross. Here, all generations can learn of Canada's military history and remember the successes—and sacrifices—of so many sons and daughters in defending freedom and peace."
Patrick Brown, Member of Parliament for Barrie.
"On behalf of the Rotary Club of Barrie, I would like to thank the federal government for its support in helping us to create a monument for our Victoria Cross recipients. We are also excited and proud to be associated with the City of Barrie to create this Military Park, where this monument will take a prominent place."
Ted Barnaby, President of the Rotary Club of Barrie
Image with caption: "The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of Veterans Affairs, announces Government of Canada support to the Rotary Club of Barrie for a new monument to commemorate Canadian recipients of the Victoria Cross. (CNW Group/Veterans Affairs Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140724_C1624_PHOTO_EN_4486.jpg
SOURCE: Veterans Affairs Canada
For further information: Contacts: Barbara Mottram, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, 613-996-4649; Media Relations, Veterans Affairs Canada, 613-992-7468