TORONTO, Nov. 27, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Status of Women, congratulates the 2014 recipients of the RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards. The awards recognize the exceptional achievements of women entrepreneurs across Canada. They were presented last evening in Toronto.
This year's winners of the RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Awards are as follows:
- Micro-Business: Penney Murphy - Owner, Penney Murphy & Associates
- Deloitte Start-Up: Mia Pearson - Co-Founder, North Strategic
- RBC Momentum: Kyle MacDonald - CEO, Phoenix Interactive Design
- TPH Charitable Giving: Jennifer Gillivan - President & CEO, IWK Foundation
- TELUS Trailblazer: Jennifer Carlson - Founder, Baby Gourmet
- PROFIT Award for Excellence: Julie Cole, Cynthia Esp, Tricia Mumby, Julie Ellis – Co-Founding VPs, Mabel's Labels
- The Government of Canada has established an Expert Panel on Championing and Mentorship for Women Entrepreneurs that has been meeting with a cross-section of Canadian business leaders. The Expert Panel will advise the Minister on the innovative best practices for mentorship and championing women-led businesses.
- An Advisory Council on Women Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders was established by the federal government in September 2014. The Advisory Council will advise the Minister on challenges women-led businesses can face such as financing and how to access it, and best practices for growing their businesses.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. It recommends that the public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years. It also outlines a roadmap for making this happen.
- The Government of Canada has provided over $146 million in funding through Status of Women Canada to support more than 720 projects since 2007. This includes more than $54 million invested in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity. Of this amount, over $9 million has been for projects to address women's entrepreneurship.
"The number one priority of our Government is jobs, growth and long-term prosperity. That's why I am pleased to congratulate the 2014 RBC Canadian Women Entrepreneur Award winners. Their success reflects the key role female entrepreneurs play in Canada's economy, while inspiring young women and girls at the same time."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont, M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, [email protected]; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810