OTTAWA, April 8, 2014 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, congratulated the recipients of the Canadian Women in Communications and Technology (CWCT) 2014 awards during an address at their annual event in Ottawa last evening. This event honours outstanding achievement in the fields of communications and technology each year.
This year's award recipients are:
- Woman of the Year: Wendy Freeman, President, CTV News (Bell Media)
- Company of the Year: COGECO Cable Canada
- Chair of Distinction: Barb Williams, SVP Content, Shaw Media
- Leadership Awards:
- Trailblazer – Corporate: Mary Ann Turcke, EVP Field Operations, Bell Canada
- Trailblazer – Media: Rosemary Thompson, Director of Communications & Public Affairs, and Corporate Secretary, National Arts Centre (Ottawa)
- Game Changer (Advocate of Women in a Non-Traditional Role): Nathalie Cook, VP of Sales & Partnerships, TSN (Bell Media)
- Diversity Champion: Sabrina Geremia, Managing Director, Integrated Solutions, Google Canada
- Technology Innovator: Lynda Partner, CEO, Partners Inc.
- Mentor of the Year: Philip Porado, Executive Editor, Advisor Group, Rogers Publishing Ltd.
- Innovator: Shelagh Stoneham, SVP & GM, Brands & Marketing Communications, Rogers Communications Inc.
- WCT Leader: Dennie Theodore, Senior Manager, Strategic Planning & Partnerships for Transformation, TD Bank
- Communicator – Corporate Communications: Jackie King, SVP & General Manager, Hill & Knowlton Canada
- Communicator – Communications Excellence: Laura Peck, VP & Principal, McLoughlin Media, Media Training & Counsel
- For over 20 years, CWCT (formerly known as Canadian Women in Communications) has advanced women in the fields of communications and technology by providing opportunities to network, share knowledge, and advance their careers.
- Through Status of Women Canada, the government's support for community-based projects has nearly doubled since 2006-2007, from $10.8 million to close to $19 million, its highest level ever, and supporting more than 680 projects across Canada.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has delivered more than $53 million through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada for projects that improve women's economic security and prosperity, and more than $21 million for projects that promote women in leadership and decision-making roles.
"On behalf of the Government of Canada, and as Minister of Status of Women, I would like to offer heartfelt congratulations to each of this year's award recipients. Through their leadership and excellence, these individuals are supporting the success of businesses in a sector where women are at the forefront, while helping communities to thrive and our economy to prosper."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Press Secretary, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810