MIRAMICHI, NB, Aug. 12, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, and Tilly O'Neill-Gordon, Member of Parliament for Miramichi, today hosted a roundtable with women entrepreneurs from the Miramichi region of New Brunswick. Participants discussed the challenges and opportunities faced by women business owners in New Brunswick and across Canada.
The Minister took the opportunity to highlight the measures the Government of Canada has put in place to support women entrepreneurs. For example, the Government of Canada, through Status of Women Canada, supports community-based projects across the country that focus on helping women entrepreneurs succeed. In fact, this spring, Status of Women Canada issued a call for proposals entitled Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success, which solicited projects focused specifically on expanding opportunities for women entrepreneurs and professionals.
Economic Action Plan 2014 committed to increasing mentorship among women entrepreneurs. As part of this commitment, the Minister of Status of Women will be consulting in the coming months on how to increase the number of women entering into and succeeding in business.
- RBC Economics reports that, in 2011, majority-owned women's businesses contributed an estimated $148 billion to the Canadian economy.
- As of 2011, 15.6% of small and medium sized businesses in Canada were majority-owned by women.
- Women-owned businesses currently employ over 1.5 million Canadians, according to the BMO Financial Group.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has provided over $54 million for projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity. Of this amount, more than $9 million has gone to projects that support women in entrepreneurship.
"The number one priority of our Government is jobs, growth and long-term prosperity. Women are critical to meeting that commitment. Canadian women entrepreneurs are creating jobs and building prosperity in communities all across the country. Our Government is helping expand opportunities for women entrepreneurs through our support of community-based projects that enhance opportunities for women business owners."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This community has long benefitted from the outstanding contributions of business women and entrepreneurs. Our Government's efforts to expand economic opportunities for businesswomen across Canada will strengthen our local economy and enhance the prosperity of our whole community."
Member of Parliament for Miramichi
- Information on the call for proposals, Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success
- Information on Status of Women Canada: www.women.gc.ca
Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, A/ Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, [email protected], For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810