Status of Women Minister highlights government actions to support women in the Canadian economy
VANCOUVER, April 8, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, addressed the Vancouver Board of Trade during an event entitled Strong Women. Strong World: Improving Economic Opportunities for All. The Minister outlined the Government of Canada's recent actions to promote economic opportunities for women.
Specifically, the Minister highlighted federal actions that support women entrepreneurs. For example, the Minister recently hosted a special event for women entrepreneurs entitled Investing in the Future: Women Entrepreneurs Forum. This Forum brought together over 300 women business owners from across the country to hear from inspiring role models, participate in practical workshops and take part in valuable networking and mentorship opportunities.
Minister Leitch also spoke about the Government of Canada's commitment to increase the participation of women on corporate boards. Referring to the report by the federal Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards, Minister Leitch urged business leaders to aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested over $153 million through Status of Women Canada in support of more than 750 community-based projects across Canada.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the federal government has invested more than $60 million since 2007 in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity. Of this amount, more than $12 million has been provided for projects that support women in entrepreneurship.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
- In September 2014, the Government of Canada established an Expert Panel on Championing and Mentorship for Women Entrepreneurs. The Expert Panel has been meeting with a cross-section of Canadian business leaders and is advising the Minister on the innovative best practices for mentorship and championing women-led businesses.
- On March 23rd and 24th, the Government of Canada hosted a forum for women entrepreneurs entitled Investing in the Future in Ottawa. It included a day-and-a-half program of inspiring role models, practical workshops, and valuable networking and mentorship opportunities for women starting or growing a business.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. One of the report's main recommendations is that the public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years. It outlines a roadmap for improving the representation of women on public and private boards that will also build a stronger economy.
"Women play a vital role in strengthening our economy and creating prosperity for all Canadians. We all benefit when women succeed, whether it be as a professional, an entrepreneur or a corporate leader. These successes create jobs and growth in communities across the country, while inspiring other women and girls through their example. When women succeed, Canada prospers."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P.
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
- Report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards
- Information about Investing in the Future: Investing in the Future
- Information about the Women's Program
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, email@example.com; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810