GATINEAU, QC, Dec. 19, 2018 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada is committed to serving vulnerable Canadians through a fair, objective and responsive appeals process.
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, today announced the appointment of Pierre M. Vanderhout to the Social Security Tribunal's General Division - Income Security Section as a full-time member until June 8, 2020.
The Tribunal has the mandate to hear and make decisions on appeals of reconsideration decisions that were made by the Canada Employment Insurance Commission. The Tribunal renders fair and impartial decisions on appeals regarding the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and Employment Insurance (EI) claims for benefits.
These appointments are part of the rigorous new approach to Governor in Council appointments. The approach uses open, transparent and merit-based selection processes to support ministers in making appointment recommendations for positions within their portfolio that strive for gender parity and reflect Canada's diversity.
"I am pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Vanderhout to the Tribunal. His extensive experience and expertise will continue to deliver just outcomes for Canadians."
– The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
- The Social Security Tribunal began its operations on April 1, 2013.
- The Social Security Tribunal is made up of two levels of appeal. The first level is the General Division, which contains an Employment Insurance Section and an Income Security Section for Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan/Old Age Security appeals, respectively. The second level is the Appeal Division.
- Full-time members are appointed for terms up to five years and part-time members for up to two years.
- The Government of Canada is developing an action plan to improve the appeal processes by making it client-centric, faster and simpler.
- Social Security Tribunal of Canada
- Governor in Council Appointments
- Statement by the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development on the Social Security Tribunal Review
- Prime Minister announces new Governor in Council appointment process
- Social Security Tribunal mandate letter
SOURCE Employment and Social Development Canada
For further information: For media enquiries, please contact: Valérie Glazer, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, P.C., M.P., Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, 819-654-5546; Media Relations Office, Employment and Social Development Canada, 819-994-5559, [email protected]