Trip will focus on the strength and importance of the Canada-U.S. relationship
OTTAWA, May 19, 2017 /CNW/ - The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism, will visit Toledo, Ohio, and Chicago, Illinois, on May 22 and 23.
During her trip, she will meet with local and state officials as well as Canadian and American stakeholders who rely on cross-border trade to grow their businesses and create jobs. The Minister will also sit down for interviews with local media in both cities.
Throughout her trip, the Minister will emphasize the importance of the Canada-U.S. trade relationship as well as the balanced, fair and mutually beneficial nature of bilateral trade. She will also highlight the interconnectedness of the two economies: Canadian and American companies make things together, with parts crossing the border multiple times before a final product is completed. Jobs in both countries depend on this integrated supply chain.
"Canada and the United States have a relationship that has long been a model to the world. We enjoy one of the longest, most peaceful and mutually beneficial relationships of any two countries on the planet. I believe that we now have an opportunity to make it even better. I am very much looking forward to meeting with local, state and federal colleagues over the next couple of days to discuss how we can continue to work together to create good quality jobs and build a prosperous future for middle-class Canadians and Americans."
– The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism
- Small and medium-sized firms account for more than 99 percent of companies in both the Canada and the United States.
- Over 275 Canadian-owned companies operate in Ohio, providing direct employment to over 26,000 people.
- Canada is Illinois' largest export market, with US$15.9 billion in sales in 2016.
- In 2015, more than 20.7 million Canadians visited the United States as tourists, spending nearly CDN$20 billion.
- In 2016, more than 64 percent of Canada's total trade was with the United States.
Follow Minister Chagger on social media.
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Contacts: Jonathan Dignan, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Small Business and Tourism, 343-291-2700; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, email@example.com