Support for Travel Gay Canada will build on Canada's reputation for being one of the most LGBTQ2-friendly countries in the world
OTTAWA, May 29, 2017 /CNW/ - The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism, today announced Government of Canada support for Travel Gay Canada in its work to attract more LGBTQ2 tourists to Canada.
The Minister made the announcement during Tourism Week. She was joined by Colin Sines, Executive Director, Travel Gay Canada; Claudia Van Wijk, Co-owner of OWL Rafting on the Ottawa River; Member of Parliament Randy Boissonnault, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on LGBTQ2 issues, as well as representatives from the LGBTQ2 community and Ottawa tourism.
With the support, Travel Gay Canada—Canada's national LGBTQ2 tourism industry association—will provide support and training to Canadian tourism operators across the country that are looking to become more LGBTQ2 friendly. It will also represent and promote LGBTQ2 tourism at Rendez-vous Canada and the World Travel Market London (UK).
"Canada is already one of the most welcoming countries in the world for LGBTQ2 travel, and we want to build on that reputation. I am proud to work with Travel Gay Canada, and businesses like OWL Rafting, who are breaking barriers and helping to create memorable experiences and visits for everyone."
– The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism
"Canada is a staunch supporter of equality in every respect, including helping LGBTQ2 travelers feel at home while travelling in our country. We will continue to work tirelessly to support and promote the rights of the LGBTQ2 community wherever possible."
– Randy Boissonnault, Special Advisor on LGBTQ2 issues
"This funding from the federal government has allowed Travel Gay Canada to build Canadian LGBTQ2 destinations and showcase them on a global market. We are pleased to work with tourism operators such as OWL Rafting to help them reach the LGBT travelling consumer."
– Colin Sines, Executive Director, Travel Gay Canada
"We are thrilled to reach out to the LGBTQ2 community through our membership with Travel Gay Canada. OWL Rafting, a Canadian Signature Experience, aims to provide a welcoming environment and a great experience for all visitors, and we hope this partnership will bring new participants into the whitewater world."
– Claudia Van Wijk, Co-owner, OWL Rafting on the Ottawa River
- Canada's New Tourism Vision includes support toward the promotion and growth of LGBTQ2 tourism. As part of this, Travel Gay Canada has been provided up to $100,000 over two years to advance its work and to market Canada to the world.
- Tourism Week is an annual week-long celebration of Canadian tourism, organized by the Tourism Industry Association of Canada.
- This year, Tourism Week runs from May 28 to June 3.
- With support from the federal government, Travel Gay Canada attended Rendez-vous Canada's annual international travel trade show event in Calgary for the first time, where it raised the nation's profile as a destination of choice for LGBTQ2 travellers.
Follow Minister Chagger on social media.
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Jonathan Dignan, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Small Business and Tourism, 343-291-2700; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, email@example.com