Chair will help guide the strategic direction of the Government's largest research organization
OTTAWA, April 24, 2019 /CNW/ - Innovation is crucial to the success of Canada's economy. That is why we are proud to support the research, knowledge, and technology development that will help us create good middle-class jobs and benefit all Canadians.
Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, announced the appointment of Dr. Douglas Muzyka as Chair of National Research Council Canada's (NRC) council.
Dr. Muzyka's experience in the industrial sector will be an asset in helping to guide Canada's innovation research. Dr. Muzyka has held a series of senior leadership positions throughout his career, including President and CEO of DuPont Canada, President of DuPont Mexico and President of DuPont Greater China. He has also participated in establishing many DuPont plants and new venture developments throughout the Asia Pacific region.
The NRC is the Government of Canada's largest research organization, supporting Canadian industrial innovation and the development of knowledge and technology. It invests in research excellence and is a collaboration partner that helps high-potential small and medium-sized businesses achieve scale. With 14 research centres and 22 locations across Canada, the NRC is truly national in scope.
This appointment was made under the Government of Canada's new approach to Governor in Council appointments. This approach supports open, transparent and merit-based selection processes that strive for gender parity and reflect Canada's diversity, to support ministers in making appointment recommendations for positions within their portfolio.
"I would like to welcome Dr. Muzyka to his new position as NRC Council Chair. His more than 30 years of experience in innovation and economic development will be of immense value to the Council. I also want to thank outgoing Chair Thomas Jenkins for his important work in this position since 2015."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"When we support research, we support our whole economy. National Research Council Canada's focus on research excellence plays a key role in generating new ideas and supporting innovation—the kind of innovation that helps our health, environment, communities and economy thrive. I want to welcome Dr. Muzyka and congratulate him on his new position."
– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Sport
- The NRC Council reviews the strategic direction and oversees the performance of National Research Council Canada. The Council is composed of a Chair, President and up to 10 other members.
- The NRC conducts a broad range of research, from applied to emerging, in fields such as transportation and manufacturing, engineering and life sciences, and digital and emerging technologies.
- Budget 2018 invested an additional $258 million per year in the NRC, of which $150 million is for the NRC's Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP) to help Canadian businesses innovate and be more competitive in the global marketplace.
Find more services and information at Canada.ca/ISED.
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Dani Keenan, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-1710; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, [email protected]