CALGARY, Nov. 2, 2012 /CNW/ - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today congratulated the Women in Law Leadership (WILL) Awards recipients, who were honoured at a gala dinner in Calgary.
"Women of achievement can inspire others to take up the challenge of leadership," said Minister Ambrose. "All of Canada benefits when women and girls can take part in leading our nation. I applaud the 2012 Women in Law Leadership recipients, as true trailblazers and outstanding role models."
The 2012 Women in Law Leadership recipients, all based in Calgary, are:
- Susan Billington, Q.C. - the Leadership in the Profession in Broader Roles Award;
- Tamela J. Coates - the Leadership in the Profession in Private Practice Award;
- Patricia L. Daunais, Q.C. - the Leadership in the Community Award;
- Melanie Gaston - the Tomorrow's Leader Award; and
- Francine Swanson, Q.C. - the Leadership in the Profession Working for Government or as In-house Counsel Award.
The WILL Awards are presented each year to women members of the southern Alberta legal profession.
Since 2007, through the Women's Program of Status of Women Canada, more than $16.5 million in funding has been approved for projects that promote women's leadership and democratic participation.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information:
For media inquiries only:
Office of the Minister of Public Works and
Government Services and
Minister for Status of Women
For all other inquiries, contact:
Director General, Communications
and Public Affairs
Status of Women Canada
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.