OTTAWA, Oct. 19, 2012 /CNW/ - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today congratulated Famous 5 Ottawa for supporting women leaders through its luncheon series and other youth initiatives. Today's luncheon will celebrate this year's five recipients of the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case Awards.
"When we honour and celebrate women who are making a difference, we are helping to inspire others to take up the challenges of leadership in their communities," said Minister Ambrose. "I congratulate Famous 5 Ottawa for its work in recognizing and empowering women and girls in Canada."
Today's Famous 5 Ottawa luncheon event, sponsored by Enbridge and in partnership with Norton Rose, celebrates the five recipients of the 2012 Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case:
- Caroline Andrew of Ottawa is a professor emeritus, Director of the Centre on Governance and former Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Ottawa;
- Saara Bhanji (youth recipient) of Vancouver is a passionate leader and tireless advocate for change in the lives of girls and young women;
- Joanne Cave (youth recipient) of Edmonton is a proponent of equality for women and girls. She was named one of Alberta's 50 most influential people;
- Corinne Gallant of Moncton, New Brunswick, is a professor emeritus at the University of Moncton, an Acadian advocate and an icon in the Canadian women's movement; and
- Régine Alende Tshombokongo of Montréal is a dedicated community advocate who works tirelessly to improve the lives of immigrant women in Quebec.
Famous 5 Ottawa is a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring and educating women to become nation builders in the spirit of the original Famous Five. The organization holds a series of luncheon events honouring women who lead as well as other initiatives providing young women opportunities to participate in leadership activities.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information:
For media inquiries only:
Office of the Minister of Public Works and
Government Services and
Minister for Status of Women
For all other inquiries, contact:
Director General, Communications
and Public Affairs
Status of Women Canada
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.