Millbrook First Nation officially opens new Hampton Inn & Suites hotel

MILLBROOK, NS, July 20, 2016 /CNW/ - Indigenous peoples play an important role in Canada's economic prosperity. The Government of Canada is working hard to better Indigenous Peoples' future and improve their economic opportunities.

Today, Bill Casey, M.P. for Cumberland-Colchester, on behalf of the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, participated in the grand opening of the Hampton Inn and Suites located at the Millbrook First Nation in Truro, Nova Scotia.

With a $1,000,000 investment through INAC's Community Opportunity Readiness Program (CORP), the Millbrook First Nation was able to reach majority ownership of the hotel. The Millbrook First Nation, which also owns the Truro Power Centre, will own 51 percent of the hotel while the remaining 49 percent will be owned by Maplewood Hospitality.


"Economic development projects like this one go a long way towards providing Indigenous communities with the capacity, tools and resources they need to prosper and provide more services and amenities to their members - that's why I'm proud we are supporting this initiative."

Bill Casey,
M.P. for Cumberland-Colchester

"Millbrook marks several milestones with this new hotel, the first Hampton Inn on reserve, the continuation of our long time partnership with Glenn Squires and Pacrim Hospitality as a business partner and operator of the hotel. More importantly it provides employment opportunities for community members, which is the key for future economic development as Millbrook continues to grow going forward."

Bob Gloade
Chief, Millbrook First Nation

Quick Facts

  • The hotel has 94 guest rooms all with modern amenities.
  • The Millbrook First Nation is a Mi'kmaq community located near Truro, NS, with 1812 total band members.

Associated Links

2014 funding announcement 
Community Opportunity Readiness Program 
Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton Truro 
Truro Power Centre

Stay Connected
Follow us on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Flickr.

You can subscribe to receive our news releases and speeches via RSS feeds or e-mail. For more information or to subscribe, visit


SOURCE Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada

For further information: Sabrina Williams, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Carolyn Bennett, 819-997-0002; Media Relations, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada, 819-953-1160

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890